Search results

1. M

shorter-depth 2U 12x3.5" cases

Since my rack is slightly shallower than normal (23" front-to-back, 16U high) the usual Supermicro SC826 would stick out the back quite a bit. Would anyone have recommendations for a shorter 2U case that can handle 12x 3.5" drives? The only one I could find for that would be the Chenbro RM245...
  2. M

deep rackmount drawers

Not exactly chassis-related, but still rackmount-related question. Anyone knows who would make deep (20-24") 3U-4U rack drawers, lockable or not? The only ones that deep I could find were from Hammond and they're on the pretty expensive side of things. Pretty much anything else I could find is...
  3. M

Any news on MxL86282-based switches? (8x 2.5G + 2x 10G)

A 8x 2.5G + 2x 10G switch would hit just the sweet spot of what I've been looking for, but besides the STH article from early September, there hasn't been a peep. Would anyone have heard anything more recent about switches using those hitting the market?
  4. M

3.84TB Micron 5100 (sata)

Stumbled on this; don't currently need one but it's still less than $60 with less than 24 hours to go. Micron 5100 3.84TB Solid State Drive | eBay
  5. M

Fully loaded compact NAS (NSC-800)

So, ever wondered just how much hardware you could possibly pack inside a mini-itx NAS case (U-NAS NSC-800)? motherboard, cpu, ram? (X10SDV-2C-TNL2F with 2x 16GB DDR4) 1x LSI9211-8i 8x 3.5" HDDs? Easy. That's what's it's made for. 2x 2.5" SSDs? Somewhat of a tight fit. 1x Connectx-3?... where...
  6. M

Supermicro 836 dimensions

I'm just in the preliminary steps of a slightly deranged mod and, before I buy any parts, I want to figure out if it's possible at all. Putting it simply, if there's remotely enough clearance after shuffling some things around, I'm looking into increasing the capacity of an SC836 to 20 hot-swap...
  7. M

Epyc 3000 platforms beyond mini-ITX

Has there been any talk or news of Epyc 3000-series motherboards larger than mini-ITX, besides the handful of weird proprietary format ones? A Micro-ATX board would be nice to have as an alternative to the various Xeon-D and Atom ones.
  8. M

M11SDV CPU cooler footprint

I've been looking into getting a M11SDV-8CT board but would need an active cpu cooler due to space constraints. Unfortunately Supermicro doesn't seem to currently offer the active cooler present on the -8C+ and I haven't had any luck finding information on the footprint or any compatible...
  9. M

mini-itx recommendations

I've been looking at options to upgrade/replace the hardware of my current storage box and what better place than here to ask for input? Due to certain annoyances and objectives I have mostly settled on two lines of thought. What I have right now; Asrock C2550D4I (that I know will soon die to...
  10. M

NSC-800 tweaks and improvements

I've been lining up some mods and designing a few 3D-printed parts that allow expanding the capabilities of NSC-800 cases. Figured I'd share for whoever may be interested. First, there's plenty of room on the side opposite the motherboard. With the included 2.5" drive tray, it's possible to...