Search results

1. L

automotive 1000baseT1/100baseT1 connection/converters?

I'm looking for a cost effective way to connect to some devices with 100baseT1 and 1000baset1 automotive ethernet. Having hard time locating media converters except for expensive test equipment. Any low cost alternatives, even a bit on the hackerish side, to connect a standard PC/laptop to an...
  2. L

Interesting card on flea-bay...

These don't turn up in the wild at all, and as far as I know, have never been sold on their own. It is a "Tesla" V100 card, with liquid cooling and display ports. This card was used in the DGX-Station exclusively. Not sure what anyone could do with it, as the other completely proprietary part...
  3. L

Clamshells for LGA 2011-3

Anyone know where to get some clamshells, the plastic doodads that come in the box to protect a CPU in shipping, for LGA-2011-3 CPU's? Tons of them for the other CPUs on eBay, but very few for the 2011 v3. I have a few Xeon E5-v4 chips not in use that I want to protect from damage.
  4. L

Airflow requirements for passive cooled RTX6000/8000 GPU?

Not sure where this would go, but I haven't found specs from the card vendors who make "passive" cooled RTX6000 or RTX8000 cards. They're not really "passive" they just don't have their own blower on the card. They rely on the enclosure to provide airflow through the double-wide PCI card, which...
  5. L

EBay - US, Micron 5100 Pro m.2 SATA 960gb enterprise TLC with PLP $79

(Edit: the seller listed more items) I ordered a few of these for a project from an eBay vendor. Micron M5100 SATA m.2, 960gb enterprise SSD. They do have some power loss protection with an array of 24x 47µf backup capacitors on board. While it isn't an exceptional drive, it is a good reliable...
  6. L

Build a 10gb-e or 25gb ethernet switch from PC parts?

Maybe out there in left field, but I was wondering about building a small switch for my home lab from high speed network cards and PC motherboard. I've got a couple of 2 port SFP Mellanox 10gb ethernet cards doing nothing. I have a couple of workstations running Mellanox 25gb ethernet cards...
  7. L

Co-location for high power consumption GPU server?

My work in GPU compute has hit the point where I can't do any more in my office or home, without popping breakers or running 220v service and upgrading the electric utility entrance to my house, much less install the cooling to deal with the heat produced. The choices now are pay by the hour...
  8. L

Fractal Design Define 7 mid case build

Sort of a mini-review of the Fractal Design Define 7 mid-tower ATX/EATX case. I recently completed a GPU workstation build in this case and I like it a lot. The case is just large enough to fit the Asus X99-E WS series boards (CEB size). Not all "EATX" boards will fit, since EATX isn't really a...
  9. L

One slight advantage E5-1660v4 vs E5-2667v4, TurboMax 3

I was comparing my systems with 1-socket E5-2667 v4 and E5-1660 v4 Xeons and noticed that although the two CPU's nearly identical on paper, the E5-1660 v4 will run slightly higher speeds on single threads. I had to figure out why and realized that the E5-1660v4 (all the E5-1600 v4 series)...
  10. L

Xeon E5-v4 for 1S workstation? 1660, 2667, 2687w, 2689?

I'm looking to upgrade a workstation currently running a E5-2697-v3 (14 core) CPU, with something with higher frequency for a little more oomph. I've been running another identical machine with an E5-2667v4 and despite being 8-core, it's running through my current workloads a little faster...
  11. L

NVMe-OF? setup a demo network?

I've got some Xeon E5-V4 workstations and Mellanox 10/25GBe (ethernet) Connectex-5 cards. At the moment, I have two of these linked with passive copper cables and all seems to work well. They each of M.2 or U.2 storage. Just for curiosity sake I was thinking to experiment with NVMe-OF, with my...
  12. L

Enabling link power management, etc, in BIOS?

I'm running Xeon E5-V4 processors on a few Asus X99 WS and X99E WS motherboards. There are lots and lots of options in the bios for various link and other power management features which are disabled by default. I do see that many of these are enabled on brand-name pre-built workstations and...
  13. L

Asus wifi firewall passing outside packets to inside network?

I've got an ASUS RT-AC3100 wifi router, latest firmware release. It is not configured for any type of port forwarding. However I'm sometimes seeing packets originating from outside reaching machines inside the protected network on the wired-LAN side. Specifically, I'm seeing them caught in UFW...
  14. L

School me on mlnx infini or EN and GPU direct

I've been working with GPU computing, mostly deep-learning and some HPC applications in Linux/Docker. I have two Xeon E5v3/v4 workstations with NVidia GPU cards. I had been using MLNX Connectx-3 Ethernet at 10gb to share data and regular IP level comms between them. There is support in...