Airflow requirements for passive cooled RTX6000/8000 GPU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
Not sure where this would go, but I haven't found specs from the card vendors who make "passive" cooled RTX6000 or RTX8000 cards. They're not really "passive" they just don't have their own blower on the card. They rely on the enclosure to provide airflow through the double-wide PCI card, which is all heatsink in the tunnel.

With a rated 250watts of heat, that's a lot of airflow, but no spec seems to be given.

Anyone got an idea of what is needed and how to accomplish it?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Answer is a decent amount. nVidia literature states that it's dependent upon inlet temperature, but you would be looking at between 12-37 CFM. Keep in mind that is assuming the airflow is ducted will go exclusively through the card.

If you're looking to use them in a workstation, you're better off getting the actively cooled cards. If server, pretty much any server set up for GPUs should be able to accommodate them.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Not sure where this would go, but I haven't found specs from the card vendors who make "passive" cooled RTX6000 or RTX8000 cards. They're not really "passive" they just don't have their own blower on the card. They rely on the enclosure to provide airflow through the double-wide PCI card, which is all heatsink in the tunnel.

With a rated 250watts of heat, that's a lot of airflow, but no spec seems to be given.

Anyone got an idea of what is needed and how to accomplish it?
GPU Server Solutions | Supermicro: Supermicro uses 11k+ rpm 80/92mm or 20k+ rpm 40mm fans for gpu servers...
I got a 745 with the fans for x11 and the noise is nothing you want to have near you.

larrysb

Nov 7, 2018
LOL, well numerically, it seems like we're between "a decent amount" and "a metric poo load".

I wondered if there was a linear flow rate, CFM, ambient temperature de-rating and so on.