Search results

1. R

UK FS - Supermicro SuperServer SC2027TR-D70RF and components

Before I go too far down the rabbit hole of cannibalizing these for scrap, thought I'd see if anyone could use these. I have three currently on hand and I think another four or so I need to bring back. I've currently stripped CPUs, RAM, and any disks, and will still need to reset IPMI, but...
  2. R

Why did “Cities Skylines 2 on EPYC high core count” get deleted?

As the title states from the CPU forum.
  3. R

Dell S5296F-ON OS10 software

Hopefully someone can lend a hand here. We've got a pair of the above, through Dell, but on a try and buy. They ended up giving them to us, but in the process royally botched the registration of them. While we have support, everything behind the digital locker is...locked. Our account...
  4. R

Seagate X12 HDDs hanging on by a thread

Multiply by 22 and these disks most definitely have an issue. Error counter log: Errors Corrected Total Correction Gigabytes Total by ECC rereads/ errors algorithm processed uncorrected fast| delayed...
  5. R

Tshooting a borked network setup in esxi8.

Not too long ago, I added a second HBA into my host to split my drives for my NAS. As I didn't pay too close attention to what I was actually doing, I think I moved my NIC to another slot. Oddly, SR-IOV became disabled in BIOS, discovered that as I was having a helluva time getting esxi to...
  6. R

TrueNAS core special/metadata vdev underutilized?

I've just rejiged my NAS by creating 11 vdevs of two disk HDD mirrors, a three-wide SSD mirror special vdev with 2x HDD spares and 1x SSD spare. I've set both datasets I have to 32KiB for the metadata block size. However, after reloading all the data to the corresponding datasets, I have the...
  7. R

FS QSFP28-SR4-100G possible batch issues

Bit of a long shot here, but curious to know whether anyone is using these optics. If so, can you indicate whether you have any with S/N starting with G22207? Doesn't particularly matter how they're encoded. Whether in straight 100Gb operation or breakout also doesn't matter. FEC enabled...
  8. R

UK Cannibalizing E5 V1/2 gen Supermicro servers

I've got a few servers here that have been decom'd that have no purpose left in life, all working systems up to that point. Storage, memory and CPUs have been pulled and I will list those separately in this thread shortly, but in the meantime, all are up for £50/ chassis/mobo. I cannot ship as...
  9. R

Identifying bad hardware - HDD/backplane/cables/HBA

I figured I'd post this in this subforum as the overall goal is to have a solid NAS setup, but it also relates to HDDs in and of themselves as well as HBAs. Feel free to move if required. For completeness, here's what I'm working with for the purposes of testing: And this is the current NAS...
  10. R

Truenas VM bad page state errors

This is a copy paste from elsewhere so ignore timing related issues. I've been having general performance issues as of late that I'd not really bothered to investigate until now. I'm running Truenas 22.02.04 as a VM on an esxi 7 host. 16 CPUs (EPYC ROME) and 128GB ECC RAM, of which I've locked...
  11. R

UK FS: Railgun's FS thread

This will be a constantly evolving post and will edit as needed. I have a lot, but I need to organize it. I'd prefer to keep things within the UK, but could expand to the EU provided paperwork isn't that much of a PITA. So, to start: EP2C6028x 6TB WD Reds (WD60EFRX). Two (the white labels)...
  12. R

Disk layout vs performance vs record size

I hope I'm not conflating too many things here, but since they're all interrelated, perhaps I'm not. I'm moving from a 15x2 VDEV mirror with 3TB Hitachi disks (bare metal, E5-2687W with 64GB RAM, multiple 9207-8i HBAs) to either a 11x2VDEV mirror or 7x3 RaidZ1 of of WD60EFZX on a VM behind an...
  13. R

Broadcom P225P/BCM57414 SR-IOV inconsistent behavior/no longer loading

Hi all, This is largely a copy/paste from a couple other product specific forums as well as with the FreeBSD folks. I figured I'd also pop this here to see if someone has some experience with this particular issue, or if I'm just spinning my wheels here. I've been using OPNSense and TrueNAS...
  14. R

Suggestion on networking reviews

I appreciate I'm a new poster here so hopefully this comes across as constructive. While I think this doesn't apply to many, would it be possible to do get performance metrics on switches? In particular latency. It could be nice to see the characteristics of 100/50/25, etc to 10/1 interfaces...
  15. R

RAID 30 terrible sequential read performace

Firstly, long time lurker, first time poster. Secondly, yes, you read the title correctly, RAID 30. Let me preface the meat of this post by saying I don't want to entertain why this and you should've that. I'll deal with it later when I can temporarily offload and possibly re-do the array...