Search results

1. B

Trying to build a proxmox/nas system, and I've encountered my first real dilemma....

Well, turns out my issue was one of the drive cages. I RMA'D that cage, and have replaced it. Newegg was super cool in not making me rma the entire case. I'm honestly not planning on hot swapping unless I have an issue, so no, I probably didn't need it, but it's nice to have.
  2. B

$42 3TB HGST SATA disks are back

That, and the tax savings you get filing together, and having a kid. ;)
  3. B

Trying to build a proxmox/nas system, and I've encountered my first real dilemma....

So, here's a bit of background... I purchased 6 3TB drives in ebay. One is failing, so I've reached out to the seller to possibly get a replacement. The big issue is the hot swap cages in the rosewill RSV-L4412 case. I currently have 6 3tb drives and 3 2tb drives that will go in the system...
  4. B

Well, provided they let me return everything, I've decided to scrap the whole project for now, and start with new parts. I still have all the guts for the server, which I could put to use as just a proxmox box. We'll see though. There's a 16 drive norco unit, complete with guts on CL right now...
  5. B

I'm not sure. One of my drives had 1 reallocated sector, and 4 had none. So out of 6 ordered, 5 passed bad blocks and smart tests. 1 did not. I'll get a replacement for the one that didn't.
  6. B

All but one of my drives passed the burn in test. The bad drive immediately began throwing smart errors after the test, so I pulled it and sent Newegg a message for a replacement drive. Also, it would appear that one of my cages is definitely bad. I think a second cage may have some issues as...
  7. B

Rosewill 4412 (Hotswap) Yay or Nay?

Like I said, I need to do a bit more testing, as I'm currently running badblocks on all my drives. Also, I guess one of the sata power cables I used last night when swapping my PSU was bad, and I think it fried my boot drive. Which means I no longer have an OS, and have to reinstall proxmox. Not...
  8. B

Update on my 4412......I think one of the cages is faulty. I need to do a bit more troubleshooting on it, but I have one slot that won't seat a drive. Should be an easy RMA. if it is bad, hopefully newegg can just send me a new cage, and I don't have to take everything out and send the case in.
  9. B

I've got one of these, and dig it. One thing I don't like is the case fans use molex connections, so those will need to be replaced in the future, but they're serviceable for now. I can tell you that with my setup of an i7-920 on an asus p5d motherboard, the cooler master hyper t4 fits with...
  10. B

OMFG. I didn't even think to have the wife log in and buy some.... Man am I new to this stuff...
  11. B

Just bought three of these, and three 640's from another seller. I figure at this price, even if they start to go in a year, I can replace them one at a time with 4TB drives.
  12. B

NAS and Storage Options

So, I checked out napp-it.....pretty cool little program. I also discovered it runs on linux.....and that got me thinking.....could I run it on proxmox for managing zfs volumes? The answer is yes, yes I can. So, I'm thinking my setup will be this: proxmox running as the base os. This would give...
  13. B

NAS and Storage Options

Awesome! Sounds like it might fit the bill. I'll have to install it in a vm tonight and poke around before installing it on bare metal.
  14. B

NAS and Storage Options

The reason I'm considering using proxmox as the base, with a vm or container handling fileserving duties is due to some of the other things I need to run. I need something in the vein of nextcloud/filerun for sharing files with collaborators (cloud storage is a pain, and expensive for the amount...
  15. B

NAS and Storage Options

I do appreciate the advice, but I must say, I'm a tad reluctant to use Solaris. At least with freenas and it's derivatives, I shouldn't need to mess with the underlying os, and since I have zero experience with bsd, that would make it manageable, unless something breaks. Solaris would be even...
  16. B

NAS and Storage Options

Fair enough. It sounds like my best option is to go freenas/nas4free/openmediavault running zfs on bare metal. I'll just have to build a proxmox box later down the road, if I feel the need.
  17. B

NAS and Storage Options

I know I can pass drives directly into vm's (which is how I got xpenology up and running). I've looked in the bios, and remember seeing an option for vt-d, so maybe it does? I'll have to double check tonight. As for webmin, I could go that route, but the way it mucks up configuration files is...
  18. B

NAS and Storage Options

So, greetings all! I just registered here, and am looking for some thoughts on what people more experienced in the matter than I think I should do. I deal alot with RAW video footage, 3D renders, and other forms of media. Currently, the team I work with shoots primarily with a Red Scarlett...