Trying to build a proxmox/nas system, and I've encountered my first real dilemma....

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Brian McGahuey

Apr 12, 2018
So, here's a bit of background...

I purchased 6 3TB drives in ebay. One is failing, so I've reached out to the seller to possibly get a replacement.

The big issue is the hot swap cages in the rosewill RSV-L4412 case. I currently have 6 3tb drives and 3 2tb drives that will go in the system, plus a 1tb and another 250gb drives for things like images, isos, etc.

I'm into this build for about 600 so far. I like the case, but these cages are making it so that I only have about 6 drives showing up in proxmox when they're plugged in to the cages.

For some reason, the cages are also causing drives to not show up on the 6 onboard sata ports, in addition to causing issues with my lsi 9211-8i, which seems weird, but it's definitely happening All drives show up when plugged directly into the onboard sata ports and the SAS breakout cables.

If you were me, would you try and get the cages replaced, or send the whole case back to Newegg for a refund? Would you buy a different case, or a refurbished whole server from the likes of ibm/hp/dell/etc?

I'm on a budget, and don't have much more money available than what I currently have spent.

I'm just not sure which route to go down atm, and could use some advice.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
I never did have much success with the RSV line and hotswap. First question, with your limited budget do you need hotswap? My very first build I went with the 15 bay non-hotswap 4u RSV case. It was no where near perfect but for a simple server with decent number of drives it was fine. Since then I typically buy Supermicro SC8x6 (typically 826 and 836) cases. I have plenty of friends that use the 836/846 cases with standard PSU/motherboards so you don't have to get too crazy. I myself just bought another 6027R-E1R12L that I didn't really need but the price was too good to pass up.

IMHO I would return that case and keep your eyes out on a better deal with real hot swap.

Brian McGahuey

Apr 12, 2018
Well, turns out my issue was one of the drive cages. I RMA'D that cage, and have replaced it. Newegg was super cool in not making me rma the entire case. I'm honestly not planning on hot swapping unless I have an issue, so no, I probably didn't need it, but it's nice to have.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I recently had a drive cage go bad and take out 4 drives with it. Unfortunately it could have been just one drive, but my friend thought that the issue was with the drive and kept swapping the drives before he called me. By the time I got there 4 drives were kaput. The 1st hotswap cage was definitely the issue.

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
well hopefully it works out for you. but I had ongoing and never ending issues with the bays, not much of a big deal while you can RMA them but they don't stop going bad once your warranty runs out.