Search results

1. S

Help Me pick my Path

I'm extremely set on using the DL585 for this project as an all-in-one.
  2. S

Help Me pick my Path

and I've watched youtube, so now I know everything lol. ProxMox seems "good'r" but I have no idea if I'd be getting in over my head
  3. S

Help Me pick my Path

uhh Wisconisn, and yes...Ebay and Amazon are weekly purchases for me
  4. S

Help Me pick my Path

Without trying to make an essay, I'm VERY cheap, and enjoy the hobby of ebay recycling. The philosophy has kept my home technologically relevant for a couple decades raising a pack of rabid boys. I've recently retired a G34 3-User "gaming" ESXi box to a single station box for my youngest kid...
  5. S

8-controller 8-port USB 3.0 5Gbps Type-C Single PCIe x8 Slot Renesas uPD720202 card- U3X8-PCIE8XE104

Ha! Small world... I've been in contact (sorta) with them for a couple weeks. I got a quote on a U3X4-PCIE4XE303 at $150 USD from Olivia. I was interested in this particular board as it advertises full SR-IOV support, which seems impossibly rare on USB cards. All was well and good, and she...
  6. S

Help Proofreading an ESXi AIO

and yikes...now that I'm in the software phase, Imma gonna double post! ;) Does the Napp-It/OmniOS VM actually require 32GB+2xRAM? In my case...if I wanted to throw 32GB at it, that means ~100GB? I'm going with 20 for ESXi and 80 for Napp-It for now on initial testing. Happy to wipe things...
  7. S

@gea : I absolutely understand the budgetary reasons for your advice. In my case however, with how my locally run VM stations are run, I wasn't happy with how 64GB total split out for me (which would have given 12-16GB to Nappit) , hence the 128GB. The cost for the additional 64GB was far...
  8. S

Lol. I wasn’t questioning it, I’m just genuinely surprised. I should have everything going by the weekend enough for some initial testing. And I know who gea is and very much appreciate both your commenting.
  9. S

Sure an Optane would be nice but for the money there are other areas I would rather apply that budget too. And I don’t have an available PCIE slot to put it without creative engineering. Do you really think the 3GB/s card is a handicap to the SSDs? That’s no big deal as I can just put those on...
  10. S

yup 128GB total physical. And I most surely do not want to be disappointed in performance, so is there a better way to use my available resources? I don't see the 8GB RAM drive as circular logic, as it's essentially a scratch drive in it's purest form, so why abuse the array? Plex forums...
  11. S

The two "Gaming VMs" are allocated 32GB each due primarily to the Socket (and PCIE lanes) they both run off of. Allocating that RAM elsewhere gets into node interleaving I really didn't want to do. Furthermore, the end-goal for those 2 stations is Star Citizen (obviously with GPU upgrades)...
  12. S

This site has consistently come up in all of my lengthy reading and research. Thanks for being so informative!. This is my first post here, so I'm going to make it a big one :) I guess I'll just jump right into the build I "think" I have my brain wrapped around correctly. This list is my...