Search results

1. S

NIC Passthrough ESXi 6.5 Free Version

For this system, it certainly should. E5410. The Intel specs page for it says it supports VT-x. I'll need to check in the BIOS to ensure its enabled - thats a good point. I'm almost positive it is.
  2. S

vlans, switches & pfsense

I am open to other gigabit switches, especially if they are quieter.
  3. S

NIC Passthrough ESXi 6.5 Free Version

Is NIC passthrough available on the free version of ESXi 6.5? I've gone through the documents an everything on NIC passthrough, I assume, seems to refer to the paid version. The options to do this seem to either be missing or grayed out in the vSphere web client.
  4. S

Thanks guys for the input. I thought of using a separate NIC in the R210 II and dedicating one of the ports to the webserver - but it never crossed my mind to use the GS108 for that. I do know the GS108 is capable of handling vlan's so that's a great point.
  5. S

Ok, so this is going to be a rather comical / trivial post for some of the seasoned vets out there, but I'm about to dive into networking on a scale that's a bit foreign to me, vlans. I've upgraded my home lab from a single PE2950 which handles everything in ESXi, except for my FreeNAS box, to...
  6. S

Fiber without a Switch?

Perfect. Thnaks for the replies. I'll have to do a bit more research on setting this up. I haven't really played around at all with Fiber before so this will be a learning experience.
  7. S

Fiber without a Switch?

I was able to get two QLogic 2462, Dual Port 4Gb Fibre Channel HBA's for free and would like to connect them between two systems, but don't have a switch for them. I'd like to put one in my R710 running Server 2012 (on ESXI) and the other in an R510 running FreeNAS. Is it possible to direct...
  8. S

IBM M1115 Max Supported Drive Size

Good to know, thanks pricklypunter.
  9. S

IBM M1115 Max Supported Drive Size

Quick question - does anyone know what the largest supported drive the M1115 flashed into IT mode will support? I had a drive (1TB) go on me and am looking at replacing it with a 4TB drive, but before I drop the money on it (and three more) I want to ensure it will support 4TB drives.
  10. S

HP XW6200 Rail Kit

I'm thinking I may go with a Supermicro build - 12 or 16 bay chassis. I've found some decent deals just need to ensure it has a decent backplane that can handle drives over 2TB. I've got 3 IBM M1115 controllers flashed into IT mode that I can use as well if needed that are sitting in a drawer.
  11. S

HP XW6200 Rail Kit

That's what I'm looking at for an upgrade... Time to start comparing and shopping!
  12. S

HP XW6200 Rail Kit

I'd need a much larger chasis.... I've got 8 drives running on the xw8600, 2/3 full at this point. I did some custom case hacking to get it all in, placing a Silverstone CFP52B 4 drive bay in the optical drive bay Thanks for the offer though!
  13. S

HP XW6200 Rail Kit

Thanks John. I just looked those part numbers up on Ebay and wow...... It would be cheaper to buy a more modern server..... $394 for the rail kit. That's absurd. The server is run as a NAS server with FreeNAS. Draws a little more power than I'd like but it does the job. I guess I'll...
  14. S

HP XW6200 Rail Kit

Hey everyone. Does anyone know what sliding rail kit is used to turn the XW8600 tower into a rack mount? The HP documentation has information on how to do it, but not the part numbers required. Edit - Sorry, I originally posted XW6200. Its not, its an XW8600. Cheers, Sapper6fd
  15. S

Home Network Design

4 hours of work, some trouble shooting and everything is up and running flawlessly. pfSense is working as it should and most importantly, blocking the 6000 or so RDP login attempts in my server Windows 2008 box.
  16. S

Home Network Design

I would love to toss the airport. Believe me. But for some reason the wife just won't allow it. I'll place it in bridge mode and be done with it for the most part. She can continue to use the Time Capsle portion of it instead of the NAS that I already have on the network. I hate apple systems...
  17. S

Home Network Design

Ok so taking your comment about plugging into the the Netgear switch from the PFSense Firewall, this is what I have come up with. Lets see how it goes.
  18. S

Home Network Design

Morning all. So I'm redesigning my home network as I mentioned in a previous post. I have a few questions for you network pros before jumping head first into it. This is what I want to do 100Mbps Internet Modem > pfSense firewall PfSense Firewall > Apple Airport Apple Airport >...
  19. S

Netwrok Diagram Generator

That's exactly what I'm looking for. That's for that!
  20. S

Netwrok Diagram Generator

Does anyone know of a decent network design graphic generator? Free would be preferred. I'm in the midst of redesigning my home network layout and want to put it to paper.