Search results

1. badskater

Cooling Home Lab issues

@The Gecko As you said, I need Air Filtration, that is taken care of as well. The list is big, but it's all planned for auto shutdown. It's mostly a home lab, what is "prod" levels is the NAS and Plex who can be shutdown as needed and the 2 routers at the top of the NAS. Rest is shutdown 90% of...
  2. badskater

Cooling Home Lab issues

@T_Minus that's why I'm asking if it's possible to use moving blankets to make the hot aisle system so I can get it out of the room thru a fan towards the garage who is not isolated, and is really cold due to Canadian temperatures. @The Gecko Here's the floor plan. The exhaust are planned to be...
  3. badskater

Cooling Home Lab issues

The AC is only a one-hose system. All C-States are running, just there's 4 Servers with GPUs for AI and VDI testing. Also, there's 8 hosts on the right and 6 on the left as well. (Not including NASes and VMware Datastores) NAS is 160 TB Usable and the 2 other Norco servers are my VMware...
  4. badskater

Build a Bear.... err Server Room (both need alot of insulation/stuffing?)

@Spartacus don't know if it's available in your area, but I used this insulation for my own server room and nearly don't ear anything (only the door let some noise out for me). SAFE'n'SOUND Sound Proof Insulation | ROCKWOOL Personally, I made the vent for hot air go into the garage, as it's a...
  5. badskater

Cooling Home Lab issues

Gonna do that tomorrow. Had to go to the hospital today with the pregnant wife as well. (Luckily, the wife factor approved of the lab as long as it's in its separate room) Edit: Arrived home a bit earlier than planned, so went to take the pictures. The wall on the right will have full sound...
  6. badskater

Thoughts on ESXi 7.0 Boot Drive (Samsung 970 EVO Plus or WD SN750), please? (for my specific use case)

If you have only 2 hosts in the same cluster, you can't use 2 VC to manage them, unless you go with Linked mode, but that is not recommended to host them on the same clusters. (Still work, just not recommended :D ) As other said, for your boot, a USB or a SataDom is better. Please use a...
  7. badskater

Cooling Home Lab issues

I have 2 of those, and it didn't help, the issue is the hot air that goes around. (I do have the plating to cover the holes on the racks, just behind the hot air move around a lot) Which is why I was wondering if moving blankets could make a good separation for the hot area of my lab and...
  8. badskater

Cooling Home Lab issues

Hey everyone, I finally had time to build a room for my homelab on my new house, but I've hit quite a snag. I've had some heating issues due to too much hot air in the room, and been trying to find a solution that won't cost an arm and a leg. (Isn't it why we also buy used hardware too :D)...
  9. badskater

Why aren't ThreadRippers dominating the HPC market?

@blinkenlights not just the chinese i'd say. The whole world is moving toward all of those custom stuff and hybrid solutions. Fugaku is gonna provoke a new change in how HPCs are designed for sure. The CodeProject article is the first thing we read when we work with the HPC team at work, so I...
  10. badskater

Why aren't ThreadRippers dominating the HPC market?

as @hmw said, AVX2 is the favorite one, due to thermal headroom. I'm working a lot on HPC deployments and most of the time people go to Xeon to prepare for AVX-512 in the future when it's more stable, Epyc if they want to future proof high core counts (I've seen a lot of 7f52 being used there)...
  11. badskater

I gave up or "The history of my new ZFS filer"

Yeah, there were some, but it's been solved for a while. Been using ephemeral ports since 6.0 without a single issue. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1021938 (That was most likely the KB as well)
  12. badskater

Canada WTB bpn-adp for 2027tr

Hey guys, there was some on eBay a while ago at a good price, and now that I need these, I don't find them available at all. (I know the usual) Part Numbers: BPN-ADP-SAS2-H6IR BPN-ADP-S2208L-H6IR BPN-ADP-SAS2-L6R I put Canada, as I need Canada shipping with the US border behind me being...
  13. badskater

Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

I'm just wondering if there's a way to put the 2.5" in front on the SAS expander as well. Would make for a nice VMware vSAN home lab if it's possible. Loved the pictures, thanks.
  14. badskater

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

For those that knows, what kind of Director is needed for the H510s/R610s. I'm currently building my new home Wireless network, and with the Ubiquiti news, I'd go Ruckus but since I like central management, I'm wondering if a Director 1100 would be enough. (I got some of those on the cheap, just...
  15. badskater

Azure StorSimple Question

Hey guys, i don't know if it's the right place, but I got 2 StorSimple 8100 from a customer who didn't need them anymore, and was wondering if it's possible to use those without using Azure at all. I just want to use them as normal storage for my lab, as it looks like a nice platform for the...
  16. badskater

A bunch of Juniper SRX300 firewalls dumped cheap

Nah it's fine, don't worry. I don't mind people knowing about these, I just tried to grab some before people found those deals. ;)
  17. badskater

A bunch of Juniper SRX300 firewalls dumped cheap

Configuring Chassis Clustering on an SRX Series Devices - TechLibrary - Juniper Networks according to here, they can. I'm trying to get 2 to run a S2S VPN between my home and my colo, guess I may have competitions from people here now.
  18. badskater

Moving and need advices for chassis

Hi, i currently have a slicestor 1440 filled with 3TB drives, and would like to see if there's an alternative as I'm moving to the other side of the country, and I'm not gonna be in an house. I looking on eBay for Supermicro 846s, but i no longer see the deals we had before, so I'm wondering if...
  19. badskater

Intel Xeon Phi x200 (Knights Landing) – x86 Code Compatibility – It boots Windows!

Personally, i'd like to see if you can run an accelerator like a Tesla with it, just to see if CUDA compatible code would work even better with a system like this...
  20. badskater

HP DL380 G7 Fan Noise

i can't really say as i'm no longer with systems like these. (I moved to LGA2011 after all) But, all i know is that if a card isn't HP branded they usually ramp up the fans for nothing...