Search results

1. G

HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 Review AMD EPYC 7002 Power

We have 2 of 325s and one 385 with first gen EPYCs in a Proxmox cluster and they are perfect with the onboard 4xgbe+2x10gbe loms HP seems to have lowered their prices recent-isly, we got the last 325 (SFF, 7351P cpu, 408i raid, 2x 10k 1.2 tb sas, 128GB, 4xgbit+2x10gbit) better equipped for the...
  2. G

AMD EPYC DIY server cooling advice?

Hi, I am exploring the feasibility of using a lower cost AMD EPYC server made of parts: - Gigabyte MZ01-CE0 mobo+ EPYC 7281 + 128 GB RAM For the moment i am looking at a 4U rackmount case ( Inter-Tech IPC4U-4408 ). Now, the question: For cooling, i was looking at the Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3...
  3. G

Temperature reporting in iLO vs lm-sensors on DL385 G10

So we have a DL385 G10 server with a single CPU (EPYC 7281). We have Proxmox (Debian 9 based virtualuzation "distro"). The server works just fine it's stable. Now, i compiled a kernel on it (to be used on desktop computers, very generic with thoudands of modules) and i was lazy to wait for...
  4. G

Live migration working between AMD and Intel CPUs on Proxmox

Hi, We recently purchased a HD DL385 server with an AMD 7281 CPU. I just joined it into our Proxmox virtualization cluster of Intel servers/desktops. We have E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz, i7-3770 and E3-1240 V2 CPUs. We used the Ivy Bridge CPU profile to make sure live migration works between them...
  5. G

EPYC ES and stock 7551 Clock Questions

The 7551 has 3 Ghz boost with up to 12 cores. After that will drop to 2.55 GHz. Source: EPYC 7551 - AMD - WikiChip
  6. G

Single Epyc 7281 in dual socket mobo

We'll see about that. We are in tight budget so... Ah, ok, i see it now. I looked it on mobile at first. So we're ok. BTW what limitations does the server have configured like this? I suppose so, i could configure the whole server on their site. PS Slightly off topic. We were offered the HP...
  7. G

@tomaash Thanks i looked for that and for some reason my google fu failed me... @Patrick Ook. I talked to our vendor on the phone, explained to him that we need a server with at least 10 3.5" bays and single socket AMD because we need 16 cores only (i was looking at the 7351P). We are located...
  8. G

How would that work? Will any pciex lanes be lost or something? We plan to use 8x16GB DIMMS. HP 385 platform (we need this platform because we need 8x4TB drives plus 2x 1TB for the OS). But we only need 1 cpu with 16 cores (for now). Don't really fancy 2x7251, those have too many NUMA nodes...
  9. G

Proxmox VE 5.2 and AMD EPYC it Works Great

Yes thats a good heads up. Didn't think of that one.
  10. G

What is the error? Is there a specific cpu feature specified as missing or something else?
  11. G

Well we don't have a comprehensive migration policy, but i was thinking about a cluster of 3 servers in the end, mostly for redundancy (one probably a 2U chassis to house a bigger array to be used for secondary backup storage). We have some VMs that are required to stay up so redundancy is a...
  12. G

Have you managed to do alive migration from EPYC to Xeon? Just asking, we have some old xeons and i7's on our cluster now, we want to extend the cluster (and retire the i7s) and we haven't decided yet. We have one Dell server with dual Xeon CPUs (24 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz...
  13. G

About the new Dell PowerEdge r6415 with 1S Epyc CPU

Ok now they are released. I see the pricing. We are looking for servers for Proxmox. I was looking at the 7351p / r6415/128 gb ram / 4x sas 600 gb / perc h730 / 2x 10 gb secondary LOM vs dual xeon silver 4110 with the same config in a r740 The relative price is ~1000 usd in favor if the r6415...
  14. G

About the new Dell PowerEdge r6415 with 1S Epyc CPU

Hi, It seems that Dell is about to release PowerEdge r6415 (and r7415/r7425) with Epyc CPUs. The pricing and availability is not up yet on the Dell page, but there are already documentation articles, drivers etc. Also the r6415 is already certified for Ubuntu 16.04: Ubuntu on Dell EMC...
  15. G

Xeon Platinum/Silver/Gold, i9-79**X, Threadripper, EPYC : where are the workstations?

BTW Dell has secured an exclusive deal with AMD about Thteadripper which states that until the end of 2018 only Dell can release TR-based workstations. This affects only the most high-volume OEMs such as HP etc. AMD Threadripper PCs exclusive to Alienware in 2017 [Update] So the Area 51...
  16. G

Xeon Platinum/Silver/Gold, i9-79**X, Threadripper, EPYC : where are the workstations?

And here: WS-1160A AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro Graphics Workstation
  17. G

Here: Dual CPU Workstation - ProMagix™ HD360A | Velocity Micro
  18. G

External authentication with Proxmox

AD works out of the box. And it does NOT need a dedicated bind account (unlike most solutions out there.) I did test local auth with AD users (the PVE box was bound into AD with realmd). This works too. Bonus here is the console right for physical nodes. But you have to create users in the WEB...
  19. G

AMD Epyc /proc/cpuinfo?

Exactly that's what i needed. Thank you.
  20. G

AMD Epyc /proc/cpuinfo?

Hi, I am researching hardware for our virtualization platform (Proxmox) and i would like to see a list of Epyc CPU features (the ones listed in /proc/cpuinfo) to see if we can use it for live migration/HA with our mixed CPUs (I7-3770s, E3-1240 V2, E5-2620 v2) using the IvyBridge KVM CPU type...