Search results

1. D

Secondary GPU sleeping

Hey all, Apologies if this isn't quite a home-server topic, but I generally trust getting solid technical information borne of experience over here, instead of the typical "just enough knowledge to be dangerous" responses over on Reddit and the like :). I'm considering leaving an RTX 3090 in...
  2. D

Any drive-imaging system that allows easy access to image contents?

Hi all, not sure if this is the best subforum for this. In the past, I've used Clonezilla to make drive backup images, and it works great for fully restoring drives. What I'd like however, is that functionality, but with the possibility to read-only-access the contents of those image files...
  3. D

A few zfs questions for a rebuild...

Hey all, I'm about to do a clean wipe and rebuild of my home-office server, after a solid 5 years running OmniOS/napp-it. It's been a mostly-great experience - except for a recurring issue where the SMB server would lock the CPU into a 100%-thrashing-85+degree-overheating state while the...
  4. D

Abort replacement/resilver in Napp-It?

I just pulled a dropped disk from my OmniOS/Napp-It server, and replaced it with a fresh-from-the-box HGST. I set it to replace the old drive, and the resilver commenced... I immediately noticed the new drive to be noticably louder than the rest, and the resilver seemed to be going painfully...
  5. D

Long distance, high-bandwidth file transfer

Hi all, Not sure the best place to ask about this, but in the past I've found the STH community to be extremely knowledgable and helpful. I'm residing in Mexico for a while, and have a server and rendering rack set up back in the UK. Back there, I have a 200-down, 20-up fibre-optic connection...
  6. D

Sector counts for replacing ZFS disk with different model

My OmniOS/napp-it server has dropped a drive (and looks like a second is on the way out, reallocated sector count appears to be rising), and like an idiot, I never ordered up any spares when I set the thing up - they're currently all Seagate Constellation CS 3TB disks, but that disk is EOL, and...
  7. D

Different RAM capacities on different channels

What are the rules when it comes to using different size (but otherwise identically specced) RAM modules? I've got 4x 16GB Hynix modules, and 4x 8GB Hynix modules: HMT31GR7CFR4C-PB HMT42GR7MFR4C-PB Both identical specification, and both officially supported by the Supermicro motherboard I...
  8. D

Troubleshooting OmniOS silent hang/crash

After playing around with a test setup for a week, I'm gotten reasonably familiar with OmniOS and napp-it, but I've still got a recurring problem that I can't seem to work out. Occasionally, and it seems inevitably, the whole machine will simply hang. napp-it stops responding, shares...
  9. D

zfs commands to underprovision cache SSDs

Hi guys, more novice zfs questions I'm afraid :-P I took the plunge and ordered up the parts for my server build. I'm just trying to work out any last unknowns before I set it all up once the kit arrives. One thing I'm a bit in the dark on - I'm planning on underprovisioning the ZIL/L2ARC...
  10. D

L2ARC drive selection

Hi all, What are your thoughts on priorities when selecting L2ARC drives? I'm unclear whether multiple L2ARC devices will effectively stripe for faster performance, or will just act as a plain span. So, would it typically be better to have say, two 240GB drives instead of a single 480GB...
  11. D

Thoughts on Seagate 600 Pro SSDs? (compared to S3700 for ZIL)

Has anyone had any experience with the new Seagate 600 Pro line of SSDs? I know the go-to recommendation for ZFS ZIL drives, (assuming budget doesn't stretch to a ZeusRAM) is the Intel S3700 series drives. From comparing reviews, it appears to me that on the surface at least, the 600 Pro...
  12. D

High performance local server build - starting advice

I'm looking to rethink my existing server build to best suit my requirements, but there are a few too many things I'm unclear on, and I hope some advice from you experienced bunch might just set me on the right track. I previously built a combined dual-E5-2687W workstation/8x3TB RAID-10 server...
  13. D

Intel RMS25KB080 (LSI 2308 HBA) - Abysmal RAID 10, "background initialize"

Hi all, I finally got my new server setup going, with the Intel S2600COE motherboard with included RMS25KB080 RAID host adapter (Appears to be a standard LSI 2308 controller with Intel firmware), and 8x Seagate Constellation CS 3TB drives. I've got the machine up and running, and...
  14. D

Dell Precision T7600 barebones-style - Complete system without CPUs

Edit: Okay, time for an update. I've received the goods, and it's all tested and working. I've updated the post with specifics. (This is UK-based, so most likely looking for a UK buyer. I imagine overseas shipping would be prohibitively expensive) Hi all, I recently picked up two Dell...
  15. D

Running a Xeon E5-2687W in a "135W" rated motherboard

I keep coming across this issue - the only motherboards that support the Xeon E5-2687W are officially designated "workstation" motherboards. All the rest are arbitrarily limited to the more expensive and slightly slower 135W E5-2690. I've found the ideal Supermicro board for my needs, the...
  16. D

New drive diagnostics

Hi all, I've got an 8-disk raid array to set up, and I want to put the brand new drives through a thorough test in the hope of catching any catchable issues early. Only problem is, I really don't know much about hard drive testing. What's a good process for vetting new drives and flagging...
  17. D

Urgent - Cheap 10GbE adapters - Have I missed something?

Hi all, I just spotted a most unusual thing on Amazon UK. They were selling (direct from Amazon, not 3rd party), Dell-branded Intel E10G42BT dual-port 10GbE adapters, for £225 new. I've never seen them for less than about £500 anywhere else. I've chucked in an order for a few of them...
  18. D

Windows 7 file transfer hangs between pair of MHES18-XTC Infiniband HBAs

Has anyone come across this issue? I grabbed a cheap set of Mellanox MHES18-XTC InfiniHost III Lx adapters off ebay, and they appear to be working perfectly running point-to-point, between two Windows 7 Professional computers. I installed the MLNX WinOF VPI 2.1.2 OFED package, as it appears to...