Search results

1. C

Time To Upgrade Old Dual Xeon CPU E5-2670

And the hard drives. And now that I think about it, my switch is plugged into the UPS too but it's an unmanaged switch with negligible draw. If I stop most Dockers and I'm only running my pfsense VM which is on 4 core 4 gig RAM, the server is around 150w
  2. C

I can't say I know enough about error correction RAM to say it's important to me or not. I do have it now however. My current system has IPMI, but I never use it so not important. I have my current unit rack mounted which would be preferred, but not deal breaker. I don't care about noise, it...
  3. C

I've been using this system since about 2016: Dual Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz Supermicro X9DRi-LN4+/X9DR3-LN4+ , Version REV:1.20A 64 GiB DDR3 Multi-bit ECC It's worked quite well for my uses. Unraid OS running a couple of VMs, 10-20 dockers and some plugins. Problem is, which...
  4. C

Supermicro unRAID System From MrRackables

Yeah, completely agree. What a difference from the older desktop I built. Especially with something like unRAID that allows for dockers and VMs, having a system like this is great.
  5. C

I've thought of building my own rack. The more I hear about it like your post, the more I'm interested in doing so. To emphasize the purpose of this post, I think it's important to highlight what @MiniKnight said. In summary, your mileage may vary. That's why I like these guys. Customer...
  6. C

Below is my shameless plug for MrRackables. I've seen too many poor experiences people have had with online resellers that I thought I'd share my positive one. About 5 years ago I built my first unRAID system. At that time, I was primarily focused on having a system to safely store and serve...
  7. C

2x Xeon E5-2670 vs 4x Xeon E5645

I'm using unRAID OS which uses Xen hypervisor. It looks like price difference will be about the cost of a single CPU motherboard. I can get 2x E5-2670 on an Intel motherboard for about the same price as a single Ryzen 7 1700 chip. Dual 2670 has a CPU Mark of 18334 whereas the Ryzen is at...
  8. C

Surprisingly, pricing with Natex was the same if you were including the chasis or not. Assuming your Plex statement about using a single machine for transcoding, I'd be restricted to 1 single node, which would still mean 2x E5645 CPUs. That's still going to be 12 cores, 24 threads. I would...
  9. C

I've been pretty set on going with the dual E5-2670 route, and checking my options to see if I could find anything that made more sense than the Natex deal. My uses will be the following: Media storage 1-2 simultaneous Plex transcodes 15+ dockers, mostly media related like couch potato...
  10. C

Dual Xeon E5-2670 - RAM Speed?

Interesting. Thanks for the response.
  11. C

Dual E5 2670 workstation motherboard recommendation

I'm looking to run a Dual E5-2670 setup. I'll be upgrading my unRAID server. My primary purposes will be to run 10-20 dockers, multiple simultaneous plex transcodes, as well as a few VMs, including Win10. I don't do any heavy gaming. I'm having a hard time justifying not going with a natex...
  12. C

Dual Xeon E5-2670 - RAM Speed?

Currently piecing together a new server which will be running two Xeon E5-2670 CPUs. I'll be running unRAID, using as a NAS while running a few virtual machines and many dockers. Under these circumstances, will there be a noticeable performance change between 64GB of DDR3 PC3-12800 and 64GB of...