Search results

1. britinpdx

Any recommendation for cheap full size LGA 3647 cooler/heatsink for Supermicro X11DPH-T?

I don't think you'll have any issues. I have an X11DPH-T also, running a pair of 6140's with these Lenovo Coolers. Idles in the 30's, a prime95 run has the temps in the low 60's. I placed an order on 2/20, they didn't ship until 2/28 out of Shenzen, but they were delivered 3/1.
  2. britinpdx

Any recommendation for cheap full size LGA 3647 cooler/heatsink for Supermicro X11DPH-T?

There's always the cooler that Lenovo use in the P920 workstation which isn't too expensive. I've had good results from the Supermicro SNK-P0070APS4 4U coolers in 743 chassis
  3. britinpdx

Lenovo T32p-20 32" 4K IPS UHD USB-C HDMI DP Monitor for $249 or less before tax with FS

From the "ThinkVision T32p-20 User Guide"..
  4. britinpdx

EXPIRED Precision 7820 Tower, dual Silver 4110, 32gb, 1tb ssd, P600 $349 shipped

Added bonus .. I added an Intel U.2 NVME drive into one of the 3.5/2.5 caddies and installed it in the upper right bay, rebooted and the drive was recognized. This explains why only SATA ports 0 and 1 were wired to the left hand upper and lower 3.5" bays. So support for 2 NVME devices! The...
  5. britinpdx

EXPIRED Precision 7820 Tower, dual Silver 4110, 32gb, 1tb ssd, P600 $349 shipped

Well, my unit has arrived (it only had a short 200 mile hop down the I5 from Seattle) The packing job was minimal, and I'm being kind. One layer of bubble wrap around the unit and put into a thin-ish carboard box. The box arrived with 6 of the 8 corners dented, so the usual FedEx care was...
  6. britinpdx

Supermicro 6028U-TRTP X10DRU-i Barebone $349

I've always assumed that it is to physically support an end mounting bracket for Graphics Cards.
  7. britinpdx

Supermicro SC825 Rev 2?

I believe that you are correct, that rev K is older than rev M. I've got a mixture of rev K and rev M 825/826/836/846 chassis. Interestingly, the Ultra chassis that I have (which are much newer that the "generic" storage chassis noted above) are a mix of rev A and Rev B, but these chassis only...
  8. britinpdx

Supermicro SC825 Rev 2?

I've also run into this issue on older revs of SM chassis. I believe that historically the dual CPU versions of the X9 motherboards were the ones that required a "revision M" chassis to support the specific standoff that you identify. To get around the issue I've used appropriately sized M3...
  9. britinpdx

The power cables from the motherboard to the backplane are 1x8pin to 2x4pin, providing 4x4pin to the backplane. Depending upon the backplane, all 4pin cables may not be required. There are only 3 power connectors on the SAS3 backplane in my chassis, the 4th was neatly cable tied out of the way...
  10. britinpdx

Bending the small tab that interferes with the heatsink is the same method that I took. There are a number of Ultra risers, I presumed that this is a "generic" kit to fit the range of risers as there was a few other mounting items that I didn't need.
  11. britinpdx

Absolutely... Modularity IMHO the #1 benefit for Supermicro systems are their modularity. The Ultra range are a little more ""targeted" to performance compared to the "mainstream" line, but they are still very configurable. Take a look at the details of the ultra series from the Supermicro...
  12. britinpdx

Canon EOS C70 Real-world Usage Notes

Thanks for pointing those out ... those are very attractive price points and capabilities. It won't take long for reviews to be posted ..
  13. britinpdx

Canon EOS C70 Real-world Usage Notes

Canon and Sony are releasing some awesome technology these days, they duke it out for the #1 spot and we the consumers are the overall winners :D I sympathize with the 20+ month journey to try and figure out what works best for you, and kudos if you've finally made it! Congrats on the C70, it...
  14. britinpdx

It sure can, you need to populate CPU0, but you only get access to the "Ultra IO" pci-e slots and not the WIO pci-e slots. The Motherboard Manual gives the details in the block diagram on page 1-10. The Networking Ultra Riser Adapter Compatibility Matrix shows the various risers that are...
  15. britinpdx

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

FWIW, as I have both the non-POE and POE units handy, I just checked idle power using a Kill-A-Watt once units have booted up and "settled down". The ICX6450-24 idles at ~24W and the ICX6450-24P idles at ~34W, so roughly in line with what you have seen.
  16. britinpdx

STH Forums a New Look and How to Switch to Dark Theme

If we're giving feedback, my inner grump says I'm not a fan of the page animation effect, nor of the "every color in the rainbow" accents, which IMHO completely distracts the eye in the "dark" page view.
  17. britinpdx

How to track down a noisy fan ??

Good suggestions so far, I'll offer an alternative which may be tedious ... possibly power down the server completely so the BMC has to "register" any fans before power up. (Pretty sure this works for Supermicro boards, but I have used Intel boards in the past that require a one time...
  18. britinpdx

Quick sanity test - VM single thread CPU Perf

Server 2016 running on a Supermicro X10SRL-F with E3-1650v3, 32GB PC4-2133. VM is Win8.1, assigned 8GB memory and 4vCPU. Passmark CPU Single Thread score is 2170. I do want to note that I am running with adjusted Powercfg settings in S2016 to overcome some Plex server responsiveness issues...
  19. britinpdx

Likely impact of damage - corner of SP CPU

I'm familiar with typical FC-BGA substrate materials and associated fabrication processes. I have not cross sectioned a finished LGA-3647 package to verify construction, but it will likely be a 400~600µm core (which provides the base "rigidity" for the substrate) with 4~8 build up layers per...
  20. britinpdx

Supermicro 836 dimensions

Hopefully these can help ..