Search results

1. B

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Here's a picture of my P330 tiny with the Quadro P620 installed. I think its same generation as the M720 but with more features and PCIe riser riser in place. Fantastic little piece, inaudible unless you really let something punishing run for multiple minutes. Typical office usage - virtually...
  2. B

WD WD100EMAZ and WD Easystore 10TB External Backup Drive Review

The Duo-WD-book external drives are guaranteed to contain red label drives. Typically, with -20/-25% coupons off WD store in europe, they cost the same or similar to the single drive books. Another benefit of the duo enclosure since 2018 is they contain a ~60x60x15 fan which actively cools the...
  3. B

$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

I chose UPS 2nd day and the shop shipped on Saturday evening, UPS shows parcel already in Oregon with expected delivery today on the 31st. Sending to shipito for later US visit pickup so can't verify drives/details myself.
  4. B

Intel Optane 800P 58GB and 118GB M.2 SSD Modules Released

Seems like a product finding it's niche. Too small capacity. For consumer devices, same price of the 118G version buys you an Intel 7600p with 500GB that has same/better on-paper numbers, for enterprise it doesn't make sense. Late 2018 with DDR-T can't come soon enough, hopefully then Optane...
  5. B

Newbie needs to buy a high-end server - advice please!

They should work, but likely the speed will be set to either 1333 or 1066. Check the R920 owner's manual, it should list the memory speed settings with the combinations or RDIMM/DPC/voltage/mode. I honestly don't know if it will let you override it to 1600, maybe it does.
  6. B

Newbie needs to buy a high-end server - advice please!

Check the configured, actual speed of the memory once you get it. The DIMMs themselves might be 1600, likely they will only run at 1066 or 1333 in 2DPC (dimms per channel). IIRC LRDIMMs (32GB and up in these R920s) can do 1333 always, 2-3DCP with ordinary RDIMMs are often limited to 1066 even...
  7. B

Build Advice on Xeon SP or EPYC? ASUS or SuperMicro Board?

As an alternative to Skylake-SP and Epyc consider instead the upcoming Xeon E-2176G? 6core, graphics onboard, DDR2667, graphics onboard, much less power. Less memory bandwidth and unbuffered ECC, a lot fewer PCIe lanes as drawbacks but I doubt that's a bottleneck for you. Leaked few days back...
  8. B

Today only: ASUS Z10PC-D8 dual Xeon E5 MB w/dual SFP+ for $199

Don't forget that TR is unbuffered ECC only and lacks IPMI (typically, not sure if a needed feature for you, would be for me). Now you can feel better about buying the ASUS board :)
  9. B

Truly quiet Supermicro 826/836/846?

Is your primary concern consolidation of systems into a rack or noise levels? I know, both, but in what order? :) Loudness is very relative and what might be noisy to one person might be perfectly acceptable to another. I'd not expect to keep any normal rack server with spindles less loud than a...
  10. B

Recommend a 40G network

3 hosts - connect direct with static routing? Single card with 2 ports and another NIC with SFP+ for 10Gbit out of the 'internal' 40Gbit 'uplink' would work for 3 hosts. With 5 hosts you'd need 2 40Gbit HBAs per host. Full Mesh Network for Ceph Server - Proxmox VE as an example
  11. B

Guess the power consumption

Hmm the 4114 downclocks to 1.4Ghz with 10cores used and avx512. Chipset takes <20W, IPMI and the LSI another 20W together at most. I don't think it's higher than 150W total, assuming some minimal memory config (4 x 8G DIMMS or similar)
  12. B

What to do with a 1TB DB

Throw memory and CPU at it within reason, licensing constraints if any considered as was mentioned. Vast majority of DB performance problems are due to coding and/or sql and not hardware sizing, however. Best thing you can do for a database is find out top x statements by execution time, improve...
  13. B

Intel Xeon Scalable Processor Family SKUs and Value Analysis

Bronze doesn't have HT nor Turboboost, suprising cheap E3 low speed replacements still but I can't help wondering they must be expensive to manufacture just due to using sockel P. That chip package must be expensive (for a 200$ chip at least). Dissapointed by the 768GB/CPU limit on non-M, even...
  14. B

HPE ProLiant DL60 Gen9 Review: A Look into a 1U Cost Optimized Server

Just out of curiosity, is the HP hardware in Gen9 and upcoming Gen10 still locked down with regards to 3party disks/memory? I remember seeing boot warnings if non-HP firmware disks and memory were installed, as well as reduced memory speeds. The DL180 G9 is neat for home use at 2U factor...
  15. B

And so it begins: ASUS Mining P106

It's the bracket from P106, specs also show no interface. The other card, RX470 has 1 DVI-D, the bracket picture doesn't match that.
  16. B

Radeon Vega Frontier Edition review.

I remember reading somewhere after the official unveil that for compute tasks AMD are targeting Navi, whereas Vega Frontier is more of a me-too-me-too half hearted attempt. Even if AMD delivers Navi on schedule, it will likely be too late and nothing ground breaking, judging by past history. Am...
  17. B

And so it begins: ASUS Mining P106

Those product pages are pure gold, thanks. "dual ball-ball bearing 0dB fans" "super alloy power II" The bracket is also well engineered (/s), let's remove the connectors and put a big stamped logo on it, that will restrict airflow a lot more (giga airflow II bracket they should call it) Jokes...
  18. B

Throwing my hat into Cryptocurrency

Don't forget your calculator doesn't take into account difficulty increase over time and the current unsustainable (depends on viewpoint of course) valuation of ETH. So your 27ETH/year shrinks to something reasonable like 12-16ETH/year. 100% utilization is also not given, there will be some...
  19. B

Sanity Check - High Performance Gaming VM

How does one handled input (mouse, keyboard) and output (video,audio) when running such server headless? Steamlink is one option for Steam, certainly, but is there another option that I would be missing? Surelly the video/audio transcoding affects both performance and quality quite substantially...
  20. B

AMD EPYC June 20, 2017, Threadripper and Vega at Computex 2017

Oh thanks, I got the dates mixed up :)