Search results

1. Dawg10

Who is the fraud, Unifi or Citron research?

Buckle up, buttercup.
  2. Dawg10

You really think the inflated market is representative of reality? The corrupt US.gov is supporting values by buying up debt to the tune of >$1.25 trillion. Show me where UBNT is worth anything other than on paper. Reality: CCP opioids and money laundering. HNA maritime shipping, UBNT...
  3. Dawg10

https://therealdeal.com/2019/03/06/hna-drops-300m-defamation-suit-against-exiled-chinese-real-estate-billionaire/ Y'all are about to discover some things...
  4. Dawg10

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

This reminds me of the pope apologizing for slapping that woman’s hands... An honorable trait.
  5. Dawg10

Pinch Solenoids

Imgur On hold for several weeks yet...
  6. Dawg10

Pinch Solenoids

I’ve seen them used (rarely) to control calibration gas to isolated instrumentation but that application is usually stainless tubing and electrical SOVs; the difference between the two being mainly budget. I have a project on the bench consisting of 8 low voltage DC relays connected to 8 1/4”...
  7. Dawg10

STH Q4 2019 Update A Letter from the Editor

"One of the sites that does regular server reviews shows very little in terms of testing, yet gives almost everything an award. That award system vendors are charged to use." Isn't pay-for-play the same as fake news? Not unlike offering white-powder inducements to have your latest single climb...
  8. Dawg10

How would you handle this Ebay snafu

If you're less than an hour away I'll lend a hand.
  9. Dawg10

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I'm unsure if Log Insight requires vCenter, but it does require a license. I'm a happy VMUG user since v5.5. Assign a License to vRealize Log Insight
  10. Dawg10

Is it worth being super concerned over the risk of fire hazard using fan speed reducers?

Two identical fans in series will move the same volume as one fan. Static pressure across the two will be twice that of one fan minus some efficiency loss. Power resistors are designed to dissipate heat; some applications require heat sinks.
  11. Dawg10

Modding Server Rack Back Panel

I really wish I could tell you... :)
  12. Dawg10

Wood or metal is likely going to depend upon ease of installation, but the greater the mass the better. Metal has the disadvantage of being more reflective but that can be mitigated. It sounds like you have a real good idea re: the physics and thermodynamics involved; I'd suggest you get a...
  13. Dawg10

I was going to ask about how it's populated after you shot the temperatures. In a situation like yours I'd look at how to get the hottest units at/ close to the top. Theory here is the hotter the air/ the lower it's density/ the higher the delta P = higher natural draft = higher velocity up...
  14. Dawg10

Nice work; the drawings get the meaning across so they're fine. Now you need to measure the back-of-rack temperatures from bottom to top; there's an old saying: if you can't measure it you can't control it. Get your hands on a IR thermometer and shoot the hot air exhaust of each rack component...
  15. Dawg10

Re-read what you wrote... Sentence 1 says: "I need some way to evacuate the heat from the bottom of the rack." Sentence 4 says: "Priority is evacuating air from the server exhaust zone so the intention is to move the air horizontally first before moving it up." Perhaps a picture or sketch (or...
  16. Dawg10

My first thought is adding a bunch of fans isn't going to help make it quieter. My second thought is to seal up the mesh, put an exhaust/ 3-speed box fan on top and call it a day. My third thought is we need to study the problem further.
  17. Dawg10

HPE SAS SSD drives fail @ 32,768 hours

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center Bulletin: HPE SAS Solid State Drives - Critical Firmware Upgrade Required for Certain HPE SAS Solid State Drive Models to Prevent Drive Failure at 32,768 Hours of Operation HPE was notified by a Solid State Drive (SSD) manufacturer of a firmware defect...
  18. Dawg10

Burned installers are leaving Ubiquiti

Ubiquiti's phone-home in the media: Sure, we made your Wi-Fi routers phone home with telemetry, says Ubiquiti. What of it? "In particular, enterprise customers were less than thrilled to learn diagnostic data was being exfiltrated off their network."
  19. Dawg10

Ubiquiti has begun deleting early references to its phone home scheme: Ubiquiti Community (/community.ui.com/questions/What-is-trace-svc-ui-com-and-why-are-my-devices-trying-to-connect/c4be2292-9c0d-4d19-8a10-36afb6b6c0cc) From what I've read, the scheme was discovered while troubleshooting a...
  20. Dawg10

"In determining the settlement amount, OFAC found that Ubiquiti did not voluntarily disclose the apparent violations but that this constituted a non-egregious case." I interpret this as claiming stupidity and throwing themselves upon the mercy of the US Treasury. Ubiquiti Networks settles with...