Search results

1. B

Reevaluating my server config: ESXi+FreeNAS or OMV+Snapraid+MergeFS?

Update 2: Fixed! Because I don't give up ;D Turns out the new vmkusb driver in 6.5 doesn't like it.. but the legacy drivers do. It now shows up just fine. More info: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2147650 Woot!
  2. B

Yea, I used the same brand/model for my esxi install.. but that only needs to be recognized by the motherboard. I guess I'll just order a couple from the supported list this time. I honestly didn't think it would matter much.. it seems ESXi is a lot pickier than I imagined. Thanks for the...
  3. B

Seems that this USB stick is unsupported and unrecognized by ESXi. Samsung Fit 32GB USB 3.0. I tried an ancient 2GB USB 2.0 stick I had lying around and got success messages. I formatted both flash drives in GParted as FAT32 and cleared all flags on both, old USB works, new USB doesn't. With...
  4. B

See my edit for vmkernel info. Here is adapter list [root@localhost:~] esxcli storage core adapter list HBA Name Driver Link State UID Capabilities Description -------- -------- ---------- ----------- ------------...
  5. B

The USB stick doesn't show up in the available list for me to make a datastore in the first place. So I followed that guide I linked, which is supposed to get ESXi to recognize the USB devices so they can be used to create a datastore USB shows in devices in vmware: EDIT: Correction - The USB...
  6. B

Hey I'm glad you brought this up. This is what my intention was from the beginning (Freenas on mirrored USB).. and I ran into the exact issue you had last night. ESXi not detecting USB for a datastore. I tried to follow the guide @Rand__ posted but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I SSH'd...
  7. B

ZFS and a powerful/flexible webui are about the only things I need out of FreeNAS. I prefer having a comfy UI to poke around in, rather than doing everything from the terminal. I will look into it, thanks Hypervisor hasn't been removed from the equation. The thought was to still use ESXi...
  8. B

EDIT: SOLVED Sorry if this isn't the right forum.. I wasn't sure where to put it since there are so many different moving parts here. I'm at a bit of a crossroads here. I'm in the middle of setting up my home server build and starting to second-guess myself on the storage/VM...
  9. B

ES Xeon Discussion

I just got my E5-2630L V3 QS from Taiwan off eBay.. it arrived in pristine condition. It almost looks like it was in its original anti-static bag sealed by Intel. If it was ever used, I can't tell. Order place Dec 27, shipped out Jan 3 (7 day shipping delay had me worried), arrived Jan 7...
  10. B

ES Xeon Discussion

Thanks. Mine is the e5 2630L v3 QS.. so not far off. The seller I bought from wasn't a terribly big seller, so crossing my fingers. Board I'm using is ASRock Rack EPC612D4U I'll be using the fedora version which is bundled into a full ISO .. so I don't think i'll have any option like that
  11. B

ES Xeon Discussion

Great thanks. I just edited my posted with that actually.. good tip on the ES setting
  12. B

ES Xeon Discussion

Hey quick question... my QS processor is in transit from taiwan, and my mobo/ram is on the way as well. Is there any go-to way to test that all the features of the CPU are functioning as expected? I'll be making use of virtualization on mine, so I suppose I could set up a quick esxi test or...
  13. B

ES Xeon Discussion

Great to hear, thanks guys. Hell of a deal if everything works out
  14. B

ES Xeon Discussion

Hey all. After reading for weeks about ES/QS chips (thanks to everyone for all the info btw), I finally picked one up for a home server build. Everything look good with the CPU I chose? INTEL XEON E5-2630L v3 QS CPU Haswell 1.8 GHZ 8-CORE 20 MB L3 | eBay
  15. B

ES Xeon Discussion

I'm specifically asking about QS, not ES. I'd most likely be looking at a Supermicro board for ECC support unless that is supported on Asrock's x99s.. haven't looked much at consumer boards at all.
  16. B

ES Xeon Discussion

Can anyone comment on the motherboard compatibility of QS chips over ES (E5 v3). I'm looking at an ebay listing of a QS chip that I'm really interested in.. but I don't have the motherboard/RAM ordered yet and I have no clue what compatibility is like versus ES chips. I've been googling for an...