Search results

1. J

Bought a used HP z6 g4. Upgrade to w-3245 qs?

Here is some helpful info I found for the memory cooler and jumper to spoof system into thinking it is installed.
  2. J

I have seen the large shroud/duct with fan that HP makes for this. I think you can find one for about $50. And without it, you do get a notice every time you boot, that you can skip. I saw a thread somewhere where someone monitored temps over a period of time and concluded that the stock memory...
  3. J

The 6132 processor is probably a very good deal for this setup. However keep in mind that AutoCAD is recommending 3.0 gHz and up for these systems and I'm sure they are going to up that with new versions. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be approaching the need of that for a little while at...
  4. J

My plans for this machine is to use it as a workstation and eventually convert it to a server, whether that be for home use or small business for me. So ECC registered memory would probably be as smart way to go but I guess it comes down to how much I want to spend short-term versus long-term...
  5. J

Yes, currently Autocad does not utilize multi processor, but they have pushed their recommended specs at an accelerated pace lately and there other graphics programs starting to utilize it, so it is coming soon. Autodesk is a bloated snail of a corporation so I bet they get left behind soon. I...
  6. J

Yes that is correct, it is the LGA 3647 socket. At 4.60 GHz turbo, the W-3245 should do my work quite well. This is all provided that the QS from the Chinese Ebay seller performs like the regular production Xeon. I am going to go through the Xeon ES thread to see if I can get some ideas.
  7. J

It currently has a Xeon 5117. For my use currently I probably don't need 16 cores but actually a higher clock speed. The w-3245 is 3.2 and 4.6 turbo if I recall correctly. I think that is the highest clock speed of any processor that will work with this motherboard. But I imagine at some time...
  8. J

That is good news. However I am wondering if there are any tips for researching info that the seller may be able to provide, such as the labeling info. The ones I have looked at briefly were written in Chinese, however I'm sure I can decipher what the figures are attributed to. I also wonder if...
  9. J

First post, and a newbie. I just bought a used HP Workstation z6 g4 with xeon. For now I want to use it as a workstation for AutoCAD and 3D school work mostly. Later it may get some use as a server down the road. It has a slow xeon in it, FCLGA 3647 socket and C622 chipset. Looking around, I...