Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smitty2k1

Mar 2, 2016
Dunno if this has been posted elsewhere but ASRock have got another PDF of their upcoming products:
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/Catalog2016.pdf

Updated Xeon-D kit includes:
D1541D4U-2T8R (D1540 > D1541 revamp)
D1541D4I-2L2T (ditto for ITX model, also includes a 1521 option)

Although possibly even more interesing is the C236 WSI4 which uses a BGA Xeon E3v5 complete with Iris Pro graphics and four NICs, but obv. that's for another thread.
That D1521 looks perfect for my unRaid server. Don't need the 10G Ethernet that is on the super micros. Here's hoping to immediate availability and decent price.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@smitty2k1 - Later this year I am planning to make not having 10G a ding on platforms with a certain compute threshold. By next year things like 25G networking are going to be very commonplace and we are now at the point where 1Gb networking is too slow for many of the newer hyper-converged/ storage architectures coming out.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@Patrick Do you have any info on whether or not there will be any higher performance (1541+) chips released in the larger platforms (FlexATX, mATX, etc) from any vendor?

smitty2k1

Mar 2, 2016
@smitty2k1 - Later this year I am planning to make not having 10G a ding on platforms with a certain compute threshold. By next year things like 25G networking are going to be very commonplace and we are now at the point where 1Gb networking is too slow for many of the newer hyper-converged/ storage architectures coming out.
No doubt it is useful for many applications, but for my simple unRaid file server which can't write faster than 25MB/s and there is no need for me to pay extra for the 10G network controllers at this point in time.

I think I remember in the supermicro reviews that the 10G controllers are one of the hottest components on the board, not something I need in my apartment livingroom :)

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
No doubt it is useful for many applications, but for my simple unRaid file server which can't write faster than 25MB/s and there is no need for me to pay extra for the 10G network controllers at this point in time.

I think I remember in the supermicro reviews that the 10G controllers are one of the hottest components on the board, not something I need in my apartment livingroom :)
UnRAID is capable of writing at 10Gb speeds to an SSD cache pool. Just some food for thought.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016

Hot in so much to say it needs some airflow over the heatsink but compared to the heat generated by other components not that much. Besides it can be disabled if your not using it and it's almost free to buy.

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee

I gotta ask - what is your hardware config that your writes are so slow? I have USB thumbdrives that are faster...

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
UnRAID doesn't release their code as they are supposed to under GPL. Don't support those guys. They are stealing the code you use.
@MiniKnight I appreciate your opinion on LimeTech's business practices but it's becoming a bit repetitive at this point. Your points have been duly noted.

smitty2k1

Mar 2, 2016
I gotta ask - what is your hardware config that your writes are so slow? I have USB thumbdrives that are faster...
I'm using an Atom D525 supermicro board, SSD cache drive, and 5,200 RPM 'green' storage drives connected over Gig ethernet.

It has been an ongoing struggle to troubleshoot why the write speeds are so slow, but I've never gotten it figured out. I've had the server since 2011 or so. I figure a hardware upgrade may solve all the problems, or waste all my money!

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm using an Atom D525 supermicro board, SSD cache drive, and 5,200 RPM 'green' storage drives connected over Gig ethernet.

It has been an ongoing struggle to troubleshoot why the write speeds are so slow, but I've never gotten it figured out. I've had the server since 2011 or so. I figure a hardware upgrade may solve all the problems, or waste all my money!
You're writing to the cache drive at 25MB/s? Something is seriously wrong with your setup if that's the case.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@IamSpartacus I do not have numbers on either. The 330w PSU is closer to what your system will use but the SC514 has a big advantage: 2x expansion slots. I think you can use a SFF-8643 -> SFF-8644 in the second expansion slot. if you wanted to turn it into a controller node. The SC514 is also on the motherboard's compatibility list.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@IamSpartacus I do not have numbers on either. The 330w PSU is closer to what your system will use but the SC514 has a big advantage: 2x expansion slots. I think you can use a SFF-8643 -> SFF-8644 in the second expansion slot. if you wanted to turn it into a controller node. The SC514 is also on the motherboard's compatibility list.
Interesting idea. I haven't really thought of needing to use more than one expansion slot with the board having dual SFP+ and the LSI controller on board.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Can someone give me an educated guess as to how the D-1537 will perform on CPU Passmark based on the below numbers for the 1521 & 1541 since the 1537 is somewhat in between the two (same amount of cores as 1541 but lower CPU clock then both).

Just for reference the 1537 has 8 cores/16 threads with a core clock of 1.7Ghz and Turbo of 2.3Ghz.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Any word on ITX based 1567 and 1567 systems? As a vm node(hyper-v or ESXI) the built in networking is sufficent and storage is network based in a lot of deployments, fitting 2 systems or more in 1u space is very attractive though.

tenet

May 4, 2015
Supermicro just saved me $4K by not rolling out a D-1567 board right now. If they had, I'd be waving my credit card at them right now. :D

DMatrixz

Mar 24, 2016
Hi guys! This is my 1st post on this forum. I just finished reading all 58 pages of this thread. Man you guys are deep into this stuff. I think my goal in constructing a box is probably closest to @destrekor.

My #1 goal is to construct a NGFW with Pfsense that can handle a 1Gbps internet connection without slowdown, IPS, IDS, etc. Everything I read elsewhere doesn't take this into account and simply rates the hardware on a firewall alone.

I started out looking at the C2758 but then stumbled on this Xeon D thread. I was torn between the C2758 and the 1521 for awhile since the C2758 still seems to be faster by CPU, has more cores, and quickassist but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how much quickassist impacts this application. I even passed up on the n3700.

The 1541 is nice but too expensive and the 1531 seems ideal but I don't know if it will ever come out or if it would have support issues with Pfsense.

Lastly the 10G LAN seems like a nice future proofing option but I wasn't sure if the copper version could step down to gigabit if I bought a board that only has 10G and no 1G and I know Pfsense loves Intel controllers but it seems the 10G only boards don't have Intel SoC's.

Any help/thoughts are greatly appreciated. I'm willing to wait for the right board, cool, small and quiet are preferred and I don't have a rack, this will be for home use. If 1521 isn't a handicap then so be it, I can't decipher the right path.

Thanks!