what isp do you use for home labs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
@echo87 - start leeching into /dev/null :) - your dorm admin will be super happy about it.

Atm we'r on a 30/10 dsl paid for, by my old job. Moving into our new house in ~1½ month and will have 300/300 fiber connection - hopefully some of it paid by, by my new job :)

Actually, most of DK has vdsl, or cable connections available.. and more and more fiber available aswell.

Cable goes 300/100 at the moment, and going to be 1g downstream by the end of next year afaik. DSL they are working on making quite fast aswell.... guess theres some upsides in living in a country this small :)

echo87

Aug 17, 2015
Uppsala, Sweden
Haha good I don't have a dorm admin ;) it's like a condo I guess rather than a rental :p

I'd like my job to pay for most of my stuff but they're too cheap. A raise would be nice too...

urbanracer34

Jul 4, 2014
While my homelab is non-existant except for one mac mini, I use a regional ISP, which happens to be the best in Canada, voted by J.D. Power. I'll give you a cookie if you can guess who. :p

They are expanding from A/V DSL tech to GPON, but our home isn't on the list yet. Only have DSL 5/0.6 atm. (OW THE FEELS)

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I get Charter. Wired isn't bad, but most nights trying to stream even one show on Hulu or Netflix over wireless just doesn't work. Although I think that is caused by the fact that there are so many wireless signals in my apartment building.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
I have Charter and made sure I didn't rent a place that was under Comcast. I get 60 down and 7 up. It's not too bad but I really want them to increase the upload speed. A few issue I've had
  • My neighbor got Charter and they came out while we were out of town and messed up our connection. Took a few days to solve that but since we work from home periodicity it ended up being a miss timed hassle.
  • The internet goes down for a minute multiple times a week (3 -4). It doesn't normally impact end user experience but Sophos sends out an email every time it comes back up. I'm not sure this is normal for residential ISP.

For paying around $50 a month I'm a pretty happy customer but that's because I have the best ISP for my area and the monopoly system really doesn't drive innovation. I'm hoping that our next move puts us near 100+mb/s, I've seen some buildings with 1 gb/s which would be incredible.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I have Charter and made sure I didn't rent a place that was under Comcast. I get 60 down and 7 up. It's not too bad but I really want them to increase the upload speed. A few issue I've had
  • My neighbor got Charter and they came out while we were out of town and messed up our connection. Took a few days to solve that but since we work from home periodicity it ended up being a miss timed hassle.
  • The internet goes down for a minute multiple times a week (3 -4). It doesn't normally impact end user experience but Sophos sends out an email every time it comes back up. I'm not sure this is normal for residential ISP.

For paying around $50 a month I'm a pretty happy customer but that's because I have the best ISP for my area and the monopoly system really doesn't drive innovation. I'm hoping that our next move puts us near 100+mb/s, I've seen some buildings with 1 gb/s which would be incredible.
Ok, I'm jealous of your 7 up connection. I get "up to" 60 down and "up to" 4 up.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
Ok, I'm jealous of your 7 up connection. I get "up to" 60 down and "up to" 4 up.

Oh man yeah that's rough. Does anyone know if there is a technical reason that ISPs kill upload speeds? I'm guessing because there isn't any demand from residential customers

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I get Charter. Wired isn't bad, but most nights trying to stream even one show on Hulu or Netflix over wireless just doesn't work. Although I think that is caused by the fact that there are so many wireless signals in my apartment building.
5GHz FTW

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Oh man yeah that's rough. Does anyone know if there is a technical reason that ISPs kill upload speeds? I'm guessing because there isn't any demand from residential customers
So businesses don't get the cheaper home plans. Plus, they don't want you running a web server out of your house.

Even the 5GHz band in my building is getting crowded. Working on getting a house so that should help a lot.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Cable/DSL use one physical medium for upload and download and basically max out the utilization of the medium. At a given signaling rate on a simplex medium, the only way to increase upload speed is to reduce download speed. In general, consumers don't use (essentially any) upload bandwidth and only really care about download bandwidth--so prioritizing download speeds is a no-brainer. Verizon can provision symmetric service relatively easily given how much headroom there is on fiber and because they have finer grained control over upstream allocation, and is doing so as a marketing win over the cable providers who can't do the same thing for technical reasons. In practice, it doesn't matter to the end user. (And anyone who does actually max out their upload will likely run afoul of the TOS unless they're business class.)

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
Currently on Verizon Fios 75/75 real world speeds I get around 85/82 as Verizon adds a nice fluff for VOD usage. was going to move to 175/175 but need to figure out why my run from the ONT to router is only negotiating at 100mbit. 300/300 is to rich for my blood.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Currently on Verizon Fios 75/75 real world speeds I get around 85/82 as Verizon adds a nice fluff for VOD usage. was going to move to 175/175 but need to figure out why my run from the ONT to router is only negotiating at 100mbit. 300/300 is to rich for my blood.
Older ONTs only negotiate 100Mbps. If you order a higher service tier they should install a new one. The other possibility is a bad cable, you can test that with a laptop at the outside interface.

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
Older ONTs only negotiate 100Mbps. If you order a higher service tier they should install a new one. The other possibility is a bad cable, you can test that with a laptop at the outside interface.
I have the newer ONT. I think its the cable run. When I get a free weekend I will pull everything apart. The run goes between my garage and home office. So there is two keystone jacks one on each side then 2 patch cables. One to the ONT other into switch so multiple spots of failure.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Qwest/CenturyLink DSL. 50/20 with a static IP and no blocked ports or data caps. $100/mo, give or take. I've been pleased with them so far. Apparently they're rolling out a 100 gig plan soon, but I really have no need for it. My speeds are perfect for my use case now.

Aug 2, 2015
I use a 1Gbps FTTH with a 100Mbps cable modem backup for approx USD 42/mth.
With the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, I configured the cable modem to be a failover backup as well as used for guest access.

Don't run any home labs, my server and NAS is at a nearby datacenter location. With the FTTH, it's less than 10msec latency and full bandwidth access to my servers :)

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I use a 1Gbps FTTH with a 100Mbps cable modem backup for approx USD 42/mth.
With the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, I configured the cable modem to be a failover backup as well as used for guest access.

Don't run any home labs, my server and NAS is at a nearby datacenter location. With the FTTH, it's less than 10msec latency and full bandwidth access to my servers :)
I am jealous of what you pay. I pay $40 for my 60/4 cable connection. Also like your name, brings back memories of Monkey Island.

Reactions: GuybrushThreepwood

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
AT&T finally isolated the problem with my service - the latest tech recrimped the end of the cable run that was attached to the ONT. No dropped connections or calls since. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem of 24/4 being the highest tier of service available in my neighborhood (on FTTH, no less). The tech let it slip that Comcast was an option. Our home is new construction (~18 months) and the builder led me to believe that AT&T was our only option for data service.

Talked to a Comcast rep yesterday, according to their map (they have to survey to make sure) I can get up to 150/25. Looks like I'll be dropping my Uverse account. I'm going to get 75/15 with a Static for the same price I'm paying for Uverse for 24/4 and two phone lines that haven't been reliable for the last eight months months. Later on I'll roll an Asterisk VM and figure out VoIP

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
AT&T finally isolated the problem with my service - the latest tech recrimped the end of the cable run that was attached to the ONT. No dropped connections or calls since. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem of 24/4 being the highest tier of service available in my neighborhood (on FTTH, no less). The tech let it slip that Comcast was an option. Our home is new construction (~18 months) and the builder led me to believe that AT&T was our only option for data service.

Talked to a Comcast rep yesterday, according to their map (they have to survey to make sure) I can get up to 150/25. Looks like I'll be dropping my Uverse account. I'm going to get 75/15 with a Static for the same price I'm paying for Uverse for 24/4 and two phone lines that haven't been reliable for the last eight months months. Later on I'll roll an Asterisk VM and figure out VoIP
SCORE!!

It's always something stupid it seems, all my issues have required miles of line trace to find the actual rat nest (literally once) problems!!

When they installed my circuits I was warned about squirrels, racoons and other animals being more dangerous to my internet than anything else, LOL!!

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Comcast survey tech came out. They've got conduit to the house, just have to have their install team come out and pull the cable. I will be so glad to have these 24Mbps handcuffs taken off. Living in the ****ing stone ages.