what isp do you use for home labs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
what ISP do you all use for home labs? also, how do you connect back to home lab if no dedicated public IP? or you have business internet for IP?

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
ya i am in states too and in fact in kansas city. I asked google fiber if they offer SMB plan to residential area, they said no =(

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
T1 to internet from ATT. 3G / 4G Cellular as very "spotty" backup (was primary for 2 years).
Multiple IPs provided from ATT.

Soon they will be doing a 20mbit fiber survey... I would be so excited but I'm rather sure we're too far from where they are at.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I wish :) Actually 10 miles to ATT DSL or COMCAST or ATT FIBER... we're just at the VERY END of electrical, and phone.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I have Cox Home Office 15/3. Not great but it was the cheapest business class tier at the time. In fact at the time I got it I was able to get a better price than Residential at the same speeds $39/m. I guess that plan doesn't exist anymore but I'm grandfathered in; although my contract allows them them to raise the price up to 10% a year, and they do.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
AT&T Business Uverse @ 24/5 with 5 statics. Had Comcast before we moved to the new house, where we have no choice. AT&T is so much worse than Comcast.

Monopolies suck.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
AT&T Business Uverse @ 24/5 with 5 statics. Had Comcast before we moved to the new house, where we have no choice. AT&T is so much worse than Comcast.

Monopolies suck.
FOR SURE.

My brother's house has ATT DSL and he doesn't even get 50%, ever, any time. He has trouble streaming more than one stream, which means it's basically as slow as my T1 without the SLA benefits... or cost for that matter, haha.

The T1 SLA is sure nice :) I've gotten 2 or 3 free months so far, which is NOT BAD for living so rural, over a 2.5 year time period. I had an outage (big one) fall during two billing periods, that sucked.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
TWC buisness, 100/month for 35/5 and 1 static, apparently that's supposed to be a 400/month charge though and i'm getting a discount, i'll likely drop it for home service and go back to using dyndns now that i don't need the static though. Wish i had more choice about high speed though

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Charter... and I hate them, but the other choice is DSL.
They have node problems all too often, which causes me to post things like this to their FB page.

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Charter... and I hate them, but the other choice is DSL.
They have node problems all too often, which causes me to post things like this to their FB page.
WOW.

At-least with the T1 I get pings in the teens to the west coast, and super low to my servers in Texas too.

Your connection is a hair puller I imagine...!!!

Reactions: Patriot

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013

Monopolies suck.
I have 125/20 with Comcast and I think any copper internet service to the home is inherently bad. I have had lots of issues at the Comcast node that services my home from noise being introduced and impacting the node.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
AT&T U-verse 75/8 (bonded pair VDSL) with a /29 block. Residential account too. I am also thinking about getting Comcast's new 2Gb service if I can get the promotional price.;)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
WOW.

At-least with the T1 I get pings in the teens to the west coast, and super low to my servers in Texas too.

Your connection is a hair puller I imagine...!!!

Can be, isn't always bad... we had an outage yesterday, hoping whatever was acting up finished dying and got replaced.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
We don't have choice either. Charter cable or DSL. So cable it is. Get about 22/3 speeds. I didn't really care much, but after I realized that my cloud backups don't go that fast - decided to upgrade Charter. They offer other plans "up to 60" and "up to 90" . Funny part - it's download, upload same 3mbits. Crazy stuff...

In office I have ATT Fiber 25/5 with 5 statics. Very happy. But I'm first one to use it in a building (everyone else on Charter), they pulled wire just to my office out of their fiber box :) This one is very stable and reliable.