40GBaseT - 30m limit (Cat8)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
30m = they gave up. I like how they said 10G sucked in base-t
I'm curious how they plan to "solve" that problem, too. Yes, the chipsets require more power. They're higher performance. Of course they require more juice. And they've gotten better every generation, just like CPUs have. Hell, that XL710 card's a god damned work of art compared to first-gen 10GbE.

The big news to me was the creation of a 25Gbps standard. I can't fill a 40 gig pipe right now. I could see 10 gig getting restrictive. 25's the perfect place to go with it. Of course, I'm not a huge datacenter, either...

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I'm curious how they plan to "solve" that problem, too. Yes, the chipsets require more power. They're higher performance. Of course they require more juice. And they've gotten better every generation, just like CPUs have. Hell, that XL710 card's a god damned work of art compared to first-gen 10GbE.

The big news to me was the creation of a 25Gbps standard. I can't fill a 40 gig pipe right now. I could see 10 gig getting restrictive. 25's the perfect place to go with it. Of course, I'm not a huge datacenter, either...
Well when you are aggregating racks it is different. I'd also imagine PCIe SSDs are going to completely change storage throughput. You could have a very expensive Intel P3600/ P3700 CDN node and easily push past 10g.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'd love 40GigE esp if it uses same power as 10GIe or within 20-30% usage I'm fine with too really.

As was said I'm already concerned about when I add some NVME drives how mysql will handle it over 10Gig