Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

senso

Jul 17, 2022
Hello @poulpor and apologies for replying after so long.

I have an m720q with an i5-8500 (non-T). Using your guide I was able to unlock undervolting, and am able to sustain 35W under full CPU load. (Most important step being to disable BD PROCHOT)

My question to you is, how were you able to push your system to draw more than 35w? Did it require further Bios modification?

If anyone else has anything to add to this conversation, please feel free to chime in!

Thanks!
I, I'm also running a non T CPU, in my case it's a 9700.

Did you try playing with the PL1/2 values?

What charger are you using? And what heatsink? I had to set my governor to power saver, or the CPU will always be running above 4GHz, with all cores over 80°C.

j4cbo

Feb 20, 2024
That's very interesting!

Do you happen to know if the m720q also has those x4 PCH PCIe lanes?
It does. However, the m720q doesn't support bifurcation of the CPU lanes (see this comment on GitHub) so it won't be possible to use my board directly. I've also designed an m720q-compatible version but haven't manufactured one yet.

Is it possible to add a 12V power supply socket for an additional extractor fan on the additionally perforated cover of the Tiny5 ?
Definitely, I'll add that on the next rev.

senso

Jul 17, 2022
Depending on the price I may be able to buy one and test it out. Are you going to announce the boards on this topic?

Sad that the m720q is more limited, oh well.

Best regards.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
for some reason I thought the m90q gen 3 had a thunderbolt port.. sure wish it did though!!!

If it did, I could use the thunderbolt 3/4 10gb nic as i have a nvidia k1200 in the pcie slot...

kayson

Apr 21, 2021
Not much information I can find on this, but a guy did make a 3D printable case with some other stuff that lets you put 4x2.5" drives in.
View attachment 35820
There is more info here: DIY Lenovo 2L NAS/小型服务器 P330打印版 - Lin IT (Translation)

Looks like they're using the wifi slot and doing M.2 E key => miniPCIE => SFF-8087 => 4x SATA => two 2x SATA Backplanes along with a bunch of 3D printed components.

Really clever idea, though at 1x PCIE, they're starving the SATA links with each only getting 250MB/s max transfer rate simultaneously. Maybe enough for slower drives, but if you used PCI-E bifurcation (or an extra M.2 slot on the bottom), you could get better speeds if you needed it.

evil_santa

Apr 16, 2023
There is more info here: DIY Lenovo 2L NAS/小型服务器 P330打印版 - Lin IT (Translation)

Looks like they're using the wifi slot and doing M.2 E key => miniPCIE => SFF-8087 => 4x SATA => two 2x SATA Backplanes along with a bunch of 3D printed components.

Really clever idea, though at 1x PCIE, they're starving the SATA links with each only getting 250MB/s max transfer rate simultaneously. Maybe enough for slower drives, but if you used PCI-E bifurcation (or an extra M.2 slot on the bottom), you could get better speeds if you needed it.
My friend printed the case for me yesterday.
Now I need to order the parts for it.
Let's see how it's working.

Attachments

ptthstr

Aug 17, 2023
Hi all,

That's probably been asked before but I couldn't find it in the thread: how are the temps on NVME SSDs in this enclosure?
I'm currently waiting on a Tiny m720q to be used as small NAS/Plex server, and I have two options:
  • NVME as boot drive, 2.5" as storage drive
  • 2.5" as boot drive, NVME as storage drive
As my unit comes coming with a 256GB 2.5" SSD, I'm tempted to use that as a boot drive and get a 2TB NVME (gen 3/4) for storage, but I'm worried about temps during downloads or file transfers, as there is no space for a heatsink and no airflow where the NVME goes. Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks!

BaT420

Jan 25, 2024
Hi all,

That's probably been asked before but I couldn't find it in the thread: how are the temps on NVME SSDs in this enclosure?
I'm currently waiting on a Tiny m720q to be used as small NAS/Plex server, and I have two options:
  • NVME as boot drive, 2.5" as storage drive
  • 2.5" as boot drive, NVME as storage drive
As my unit comes coming with a 256GB 2.5" SSD, I'm tempted to use that as a boot drive and get a 2TB NVME (gen 3/4) for storage, but I'm worried about temps during downloads or file transfers, as there is no space for a heatsink and no airflow where the NVME goes. Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks!
I haven't seen any heat issues with any of the tinys with nvme drives in them. I got about 8 deployed at work in a manufacturing environment and it's not the coolest out there and we have seen no issues. I even have some in plc cabinets running machines with 0 issues. They haven't been cleaned in 4+ years and just keep on ticking.

TurnipSalad

Apr 16, 2024
Hi
I’ve just ordered a m920q and quad i350t4.
I need to order the pcie riser (01AJ940)

Aliexpress had them $9 however one user said it was too tall; has anyone experienced this?

I’ll also need a backplate. Steel ones are $12 on AE however some people 3d print. Is the 3d printed version better? Does anyone have the files?
My Nic is HP NC365t. I assume all these quad nice have the same layout for the backplate.
Ty

BaT420

Jan 25, 2024
Hi

Aliexpress had them $9 however one user said it was too tall; has anyone experienced this?

I’ll also need a backplate. Steel ones are $12 on AE however some people 3d print. Is the 3d printed version better? Does anyone have the files?
My Nic is HP NC365t. I assume all these quad nice have the same layout for the backplate.
Ty
The riser won't be too tall. You can just mod the back plate cover easily. I just moded 2 at work took a hacksaw and cut between the serial port knocks it has and filed 1 end to make it bigger. 30 bucks off Ali for a plate is to much money for a piece of sheet metal. Or you can get a 3d printed 1 but I dunno who sells them. I put quad port nics in mine at work. I got another 2 to mod next week for another project. I'll post a picture next week when I mod another 1.

Reactions: TurnipSalad

kayson

Apr 21, 2021
Hi

Ty
Did you try searching thingiverse and printables?

j4cbo

Feb 20, 2024
I have one prototype of my m920q/m920x dual-NVMe riser available which I'm offering for free (within the US) if anyone wants to beta test. It lacks the fan header and open-back PCIe slot that the production ones will have (probably a month out), and it's not pretty, but it works :) Send a PM if interested. EDIT: claimed by kayson!

Attachments

Last edited:

TurnipSalad

Apr 16, 2024
Did you try searching thingiverse and printables?
Sorry, I don’t know anything about 3d printing - my mate has a machine and offered. I had a look at those sites and came across a bracket but I couldn’t confirm if it was suitable- it could be a poor model. Hopped someone here had made one.
There was someone on reddit selling them for $5 (however I am in Australia and he hasn’t responded). Might try cutting the plate as suggested above.

kayson

Apr 21, 2021
I have one prototype of my m920q/m920x dual-NVMe riser available which I'm offering for free (within the US) if anyone wants to beta test. It lacks the fan header and open-back PCIe slot that the production ones will have (probably a month out), and it's not pretty, but it works :) Send a PM if interested.
Damn look at those curved diff pairs and jogs. This guy knows how to high speed PCB.

Soldering on the caps is a little wonky though ;)