$127 Cisco ENCS5412/K9 Xeon-D 1557 (12 core), 32G ram

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

turbo

Mar 17, 2022
For me, OOB management with remote console (CIMC), total core count, and VM-VM networking performance. I have about 20 VMs on mine with maybe 12 running at any one time.
I migrated a bunch of separate physical systems into VMs on mine and improved total performance and lowered power draw substantially. Since they are all on one box now the external network limits aren’t really an issue for me. With the 8 switch ports I can connect my high 2 usage clients and my WAPs directly to it.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Same. I loaded Proxmox onto mine with Home Assistant in a VM with a handful of LXCs for other home tasks. Having IMPI was important since once all this is racked up it will be in a closet where I don't want to drag equipment to when I need to maintain/troubleshoot. My "other server" will be moved to an HPE EL1000 so I can get IPMI in something small/quiet with iGPU power.

Reactions: fohdeesha

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Well. Interesting.

So the CIMC chassis inventory still thinks this:
Memory
DIMMList:
id: 1
Name: DIMM_A
Capacity: 32768 MB
Speed: 2400
MemoryType: DDR4
MemoryTypeDetail: Synchronous
BankLocator: NODE 1
Manufacturer: Micron
SerialNumber: ##########
AssetTag: DIMM_A_AssetTag
PartNumber: 36ASF4G72PZ-2G3B1
Visibility: Yes
Operability: Operable
DataWidth: 72 bits

id: 2
Name: DIMM_B
Capacity: Not Installed
Speed: NA
MemoryType: NA
MemoryTypeDetail: NA
BankLocator: NA
Manufacturer: NA
SerialNumber: NA
AssetTag: NA
PartNumber: NA
Visibility: NA
Operability: NA
DataWidth: NA

But I finally was able to get the system to boot on a pair of 8GB DDR4 2133P DIMMs, and BIOS (2.6) reports them both.

So as best I can tell, the unit was failing POST with both of the 32GB DIMMs installed, and would only boot with the original 32GB DIMM. Thus, indicators point to a bad DIMM.

Sucks that Cisco have this box limited to 32GB DIMMs, I've got a shedload of 64GB DDR4 ECC DIMMs.... and yes, I tried to boot with one of those installed too... same problem, won't complete post.

Oh well.

Thanks @devz3ro for bailing me out on the BIOS thing.
Wait, so max is only 32GB? or 32GB per slot?

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I agree, I have a large amount of 64GB DDR4 pulls from HPE servers and I was hoping to use two of them in this box, but nooooooooooooo. :(
I noticed that you had hardware locking issues after upgrading NFVIS. What version are you currently on?

EDIT: nvm. I missed the reply where you said it was due to a bad dimm stick and not hardware lockdown by cimc or bios update.

Last edited:

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
What is the best way to update the BIOS/CIMC once on Proxmox? I have one online as a dedicated LXC/Docker node and now I realized the firmware is decently out of date and I am locked out of the CIMC.