putting together a cheap xeon video editing system

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zhah

Apr 3, 2024
hi, i am very new to all this server cpu naunce, i currently have a ryzen 5 5600g cpu with 16gb of ram and an rtx 2060 12gb, my pc is weak for rendering videos quickly to get out for clients, low ram for getting multiple adobe apps running at the same time. i can just upgrade my ram and cpu to stay on a modern system, but i am looking at these cheap aliexpress bundles and cpus which will cost me as much as just a ram upgrade where i live.

e5 2690 v3 for 20$

x99 mobo for 37$

i hope someone here knows about editing software and old xeons to help me decide, the only issue i have now is that the cpu doesnt have integrated graphics to enable quicksync, which is also a problem with my ryzen system making my true ideal upgrade be a modern intel system since most old intel i cpus are low core count.
what should i go with then if not the e5 xeons? i can give my ryzen rig to my brother as he would benefit from it, while giving myself similar performance + better render times with the xeon, but i want to know if there's even better stuff out there for the same price.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Do you have Adobe configured to offload to GPU \ doing it in batches via GPU not CPU, that's what I'd do. This wasn't default when I was looking into this years ago and you had to use an alternative config to do it.

You should compare RAM Bandwidth of the XEONS vs Ryzen, and take into account "MAX" Bandwidth may be DUAL XEON depending where you're reading the spec.

If you can offload to your NVIDIA GPU you'll get more performance than either CPU, and the 5900x or 5950x smokes those older Xeons in most workloads, so I would up the RAM, get a faster AMD for your platform, off-load to GPU and call it good :)

nexox

May 3, 2023
Upgrading your current system is probably the right answer, but if you must go for a 2011-3 socket Xeon skip the v3 and get a v4 for about the same price.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
This is a hard question. I can say for certain that a 2011-3 Xeon is not the right choice because the single threaded performance is mediocre and Premiere Pro is not exactly known for its thread scalability. You can see here that going from 24 cores to 64 cores barely moves performance. The consensus seems to be you want 12-16 fast cores and a GPU with competent hardware accelerated encoding and decoding.

zhah

Apr 3, 2024
Do you have Adobe configured to offload to GPU \ doing it in batches via GPU not CPU, that's what I'd do. This wasn't default when I was looking into this years ago and you had to use an alternative config to do it.

You should compare RAM Bandwidth of the XEONS vs Ryzen, and take into account "MAX" Bandwidth may be DUAL XEON depending where you're reading the spec.

If you can offload to your NVIDIA GPU you'll get more performance than either CPU, and the 5900x or 5950x smokes those older Xeons in most workloads, so I would up the RAM, get a faster AMD for your platform, off-load to GPU and call it good :)
i have set media encoder to render using cuda acceleration, but it is kind of down letting for render speed, i also can't find anything on amd cpu bandwith but im sure i read good numbers for the xeon ones, didn't know that was for a dual cpu set up.

the reason i don't want to up my cpu and ram on this pc is many reasons, my am4 motherboard is pretty low end, the vrms and cpu heat up alot during intense effect rendering (doesn't that mean some effects can only be rendered with the cpu even when cuda is enabled?) so i don't feel comfortable throwing a 59/50x on here with those poor vrms. plus the cost (which isn't TOO important but still nice) where i can get the whole "upgraded" xeon platform for pretty cheap.

zhah

Apr 3, 2024
not quite my cpu, slightly better but this is what the 2680 v2 does, these are just random games tested with a budget graphics card, with a better gpu it would be "better" but it seems this xeon is very similar in perf. to my current cpu for single threaded performance. i need to see how it does in productivity tasks and im set

Attachments

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
There's no point to get the xeons if they're the same or slower though....

I'm still a huge user (dozens) of E5 v3\v4 CPUs.

But some things need single threaded performance, and it's irrelevant how good 20 or 40 cores is if your software doesn't utilize them.

Reactions: nexox

zhah

Apr 3, 2024
There's no point to get the xeons if they're the same or slower though....

I'm still a huge user (dozens) of E5 v3\v4 CPUs.

But some things need single threaded performance, and it's irrelevant how good 20 or 40 cores is if your software doesn't utilize them.
i get you but we are talking about my 6 core not a 20 not even a 12 like you mentioned before