Toshiba 14TB SAS MG07SCA14TE 512e $66 NEW

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Base price is $53, with shipping $13 for the first and about $6 each after that.

Item listing says "New", not "Used".

Last edited:

2bluesc

Dec 24, 2017
Their website might be cheaper for this also
Signed up for an account on their website and was terrified to see that they email my password back to me in plain-text :eek: for email verification. Buckle up, this will be fun. Using PayPal because YOLO.

At the time of writing the qty in inventory is 1432. o_O

• Haha
Reactions: mach3.2

frameshift18

Jan 9, 2019
In the past I wouldn't think twice about buying a SAS drive with a 30 day warranty but the recent deals with a 5 year warranty have me second guessing.. Hm..

Signed up for an account on their website and was terrified to see that they email my password back to me in plain-text :eek: for email verification.
How is this still an issue in 2024 lol. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: bvd

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
Know you can't have everything but agree with the above, 30 day warranty is the only thing holding me back from grabbing some of these.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
This drive (MG07 Series) is NOT an Enterprise grade drive.
It is Nearline with a spec'd "550 total TB Transferred per Year Workload Rating"

Despite the Marketing-Slime literature liberally using the "Enterprise" (and "Cloud") buzzword(s) in many places. [Link]
======
[Hey, Toshiba,] "Don't piss down my back, and tell me it's raining."

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Anyone who has ever dealt with Toshiba's RMA dept. Knows it's not the most reputable company. Took me almost 2 years of constant nagging to get them to send me my replacement drive.

• Wow
Reactions: mach3.2 and bvd

ribroc

ebay hardware hobbyist
Feb 16, 2022
My hesitation on these is more concerning the whole "these drives are filled with helium" combined with "these drives are scratched through the label, into the casing". Thaat sounds like tempting fate.

Price can't be beat and I trust techy, so I bought a shelf's worth. I'll report back in week or so, and follow up if I have issues.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
on their site they list a box of 20 for $75 per drive.

incidentally using their website it was both free shipping and no sales tax to california. score!

Reactions: bvd and nexox

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
If I hadn't literally *just* picked up a slew of seagate x18's (newegg had a sale on the exos 18TB for ~$255 each), I'd pick up a handful of these and at least give em a shot - hell of a $/TB deal!

One problem I've historically had with Toshiba drives (across 3 separate models actually) was getting them to reliably spin down... I understand all the implications there, but whenever I'm using HDD's anymore, it's for big media and/or long term storage (write once, read 'occasionally', and verify monthly lol).

With drives now consuming 5+ watts even at 'idle', spin down has become quite a bit more important to me - admittedly this has been years back now, and easily could've been some old firmware issue, just that given it was across multiple drive models at the time, it'd always given me pause sense lol

Reactions: ano

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
SAS drives in general are harder to get to spin down also.

I'm probably going to have some storj node hosting on spare capacity so they tends to keep the drives busy all the time anyway

Last edited:

2bluesc

Dec 24, 2017
With drives now consuming 5+ watts even at 'idle', spin down has become quite a bit more important to me - admittedly this has been years back now, and easily could've been some old firmware issue, just that given it was across multiple drive models at the time, it'd always given me pause sense lol
Related to power, Toshiba MG07/MG08/MG09 drives have the lowest idle and active power of any drive (according to the datasheets) I've looked at. Clearly not as low as spinning down, but for my use case low active and idle power are desirable since I can't spin down the drives.

In fact, these Toshiba drives have lower idle power consumption at 7200 RPM then the lower speed 5200/5400 RPM drives. This makes buying those "lower power" drives a moot point for people who can't spin down drives.

Reactions: bvd and nexox

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
My hesitation on these is more concerning the whole "these drives are filled with helium" combined with "these drives are scratched through the label, into the casing". Thaat sounds like tempting fate.

Price can't be beat and I trust techy, so I bought a shelf's worth. I'll report back in week or so, and follow up if I have issues.
Worth noting, on their website they sell both scratched labels and "clean" labels at a higher price ($99/ea). If you need a bunch they also sell both flavors in boxes of 20 at a slight discount.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
This drive (MG07 Series) is NOT an Enterprise grade drive.
Features like Power Loss Protection, optional SED, choice of sector size, etc., make them "Enterprise". They are "Capacity Enterprise" class as opposed to "Performance Enterprise" class.

But nobody buys (or even manufactures) spinning rust today for "Performance Enterprise". It's all NVMe now.

As for the data transfer limit, that's just a standard CYA warranty number. I have purchased used drives with similar warranty specs but with close to 8x that much transfer (almost all reads) per year for the 4+ years they were powered on.