Replacement server option - Gigabyte R282-Z92 a good option?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mark Linton

Sep 28, 2018
Just looking for some second-hand 2U replacement server for some lab work. Looking at the R282-Z92 with a dual low-end epyc CPU - spotted this on eBay, anything I should be looking out for, or opinions on a better option?

Attractive features include the dual AMD, DDR4 memory (which I have 128gb of), NVME U.2 hotplug drives (for a couple of 15tb intel U.2s)

Thanks!

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
It's expensive if you're not going to use all that front nvme. You can make it much cheaper if all you need is 6 or 8 drives.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Quite a bit costly to be honest.
Then again we got a steal on our last batch of these for $7-900. This is overkill of you don't need that many drive bays as said.

There are a few other options out there but it depends on your usage. Some 2U 4 node systems in the $2200-2400 range with some nvme support and CPU's/ram already installed.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Unrelated to what OP posted, does this look like a good deal Supermicro CSE-826 2U Server 12x 4TB HDD LFF E5-2620 V4 BPN-SAS3-826EL1 X10DRL-i | eBay
I am looking for somewhat silent(after change fans) beginner friendly server under $1000.
That is expensive for what it is. That server is worth no more than 300$. crappy cpu, raid card instead of hba, the bad backplane on that chassis, etc
If you want quiet get a 4U sm chassis and replace the fan wall with regular 120mm pc fans.

aakashqq

Feb 21, 2024
That is expensive for what it is. That server is worth no more than 300$. crappy cpu, raid card instead of hba, the bad backplane on that chassis, etc
If you want quiet get a 4U sm chassis and replace the fan wall with regular 120mm pc fans.

Thank you @grenskul, any recommendation for 4U?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Mark Linton I have actually been looking for a few 2U NVMe single socket EPYC servers. We have a ton of DDR4-3200 and old Milan CPUs so my thought was to build a few low-power hosting nodes with those. The 16TB drives I was thinking of using just for backups and completely removing hard drives in this generation. Turns out those systems are a bit harder to find than I would have thought.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
That is expensive for what it is. That server is worth no more than 300$.
Although the system is a bit overpriced, the chassis itself with 2x power supplies and a full set of drive trays is easily $250 including shipping. The SuperMicro rails are at least another $50. Add in 12x 4TB drives at $10 each and you're over $400. With the motherboard and such, it's probably worth about $600 to somebody who doesn't have a bunch of spare parts sitting around.

If you've already got a motherboard, CPU, heatsink, RAM, drives, drive trays, rails, etc., then, yeah, it's not worth very much. In that case, though, you'd just be looking for the bare chassis at $250.

Mark Linton

Sep 28, 2018
@grenskul Yeah I was thinking that the 24 nvme was overkill, but 1-4 U.2 2.5" is probably the minimum. I already have a ton of DDR4, so I don't need that. Just looking for a sudo-inexpensive multi-core 2U rackmount that isn't going to break the bank. I'm upgrading from a DL360-G8 if that helps.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Although the system is a bit overpriced, the chassis itself with 2x power supplies and a full set of drive trays is easily $250 including shipping. The SuperMicro rails are at least another $50. Add in 12x 4TB drives at $10 each and you're over $400. With the motherboard and such, it's probably worth about $600 to somebody who doesn't have a bunch of spare parts sitting around.

If you've already got a motherboard, CPU, heatsink, RAM, drives, drive trays, rails, etc., then, yeah, it's not worth very much. In that case, though, you'd just be looking for the bare chassis at $250.
LOL no. It's v4 hardware. A sm 2u chassis isn't worth anything worth mentioning. I can get complete v4 12 lff servers for 200€. Saying it's worth 600$ just means you're terrible at buying used gear. Used for probably tens of thousands of hours hdds under 6tb (and even 6tb is generous) aren't worth anything at all.

For reference. Before the sth effect this was 99£ with caddies (and sometimes cpus) https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...3-5-lff-2x-hs-2-x-psu-1-x-9361-8i-raid.41224/

Last edited:

Mark Linton

Sep 28, 2018
Ok so still looking for a suggestion - I would imagine that someone else has been down a similar path. If investing 2k into the Gigabyte SP3 platform is overkill, ideas on the following?:

- Rackmount formfactor (2U ideal)
- Dual SP3 platform
- at least 4 U.2 NVME drives
- at least 4 sata drive connections (jbod)
- DDR4 (16 slots)
- Dual 1Gig interfaces (10Gbe is a bonus)
- KVM needed

Thanks!

Also found this case: 2U Rackmount Chassis / InWin / IW-RS208-07