Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 EPYC 3151 Mystery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ilmari

Jan 23, 2024
Dunno, but generally in electronics, devices are supplied with connectors which are needed for the device to work properly. If you only connect some of them, the device won't work.

As you can see in the post #274, the manufacturer has told that the board needs 12v+3.3v. Also if you look closely, the connector plastic hood has different shapes than those 12v cpu/gpu connectors and it is also much smaller.

serialintruder

Dec 19, 2023
i deleted my post with the pictures, because of the risk misleading somebody with this killing the adapter.

you are right after watching again closely to #274 . this should be the first step trying this pinout.

Reactions: ilmari

Gymnae

Nov 20, 2023
Dunno, but generally in electronics, devices are supplied with connectors which are needed for the device to work properly. If you only connect some of them, the device won't work.

As you can see in the post #274, the manufacturer has told that the board needs 12v+3.3v. Also if you look closely, the connector plastic hood has different shapes than those 12v cpu/gpu connectors and it is also much smaller.
My favorite idea, right now, is garnishing an SATA Power to 6-pin PCI-E adapter with adapted leads to deliver the required power. SATA Power offers us +3.3v, +12v and GND. I have an adapter on the way which converts a micro-fit 3.0 plug into a PCI-E 6-pin socket: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967252490.html

domsepay

Dec 20, 2023
I have finally got a working configuration.
Gigabyte Amphenol RSL74
CEACENT CNS41CX16W
Simple 6-Pin to 6-Pin Micro-Fit

As already described, I had to adapt the cable for the power supply. It now runs via the ATX adapter from RAM König.
I use pin 1-2 for 3V, 3 and 5 for ground and 10-11 for 12V.

My Nvidia Tesla P4 and an HP 331T were recognized without any problems.
The bios has the F09 version.

It took a lot of trial and error, but I'm glad I finally got it to work.
Now I just need to make some cables for the other boards and figure out what I actually want to use the boards for.

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
Is there any way to control the fan speed of this motherboard according to HDD temperature?

Can see the HDD temp in Unraid, but cannot find a way to adjust fan RPM according to that temperature (SYS_FAN2). BMC (even with BMC firmware mod) does not see the HDD temp sensor.

BMC
Skærmbillede 2024-02-10 kl. 20.09.59.png
Unraid
Skærmbillede 2024-02-10 kl. 20.10.42.png

serialintruder

Dec 19, 2023
on my system HDD_BPB_TEMP is disabled.
in the fan profile i can select it, but it will not work.

how did you get so much out of the board, i have only the 4-5 k10temp values... with the dynamix plugin?
did you install some k10 driver, have to check... :)

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
on my system HDD_BPB_TEMP is disabled.
in the fan profile i can select it, but it will not work.

how did you get so much out of the board, i have only the 4-5 k10temp values... with the dynamix plugin?
did you install some k10 driver, have to check... :)
I use the IPMI plugin. Could control the fans on my Supermicro server I had a few years back, but for Gigabyte it only shows the values. But good plugin to have anyhow :)

Reactions: serialintruder

Gymnae

Nov 20, 2023
I have finally got a working configuration.
Gigabyte Amphenol RSL74
CEACENT CNS41CX16W
Simple 6-Pin to 6-Pin Micro-Fit

As already described, I had to adapt the cable for the power supply. It now runs via the ATX adapter from RAM König.
I use pin 1-2 for 3V, 3 and 5 for ground and 10-11 for 12V.

My Nvidia Tesla P4 and an HP 331T were recognized without any problems.
The bios has the F09 version.

It took a lot of trial and error, but I'm glad I finally got it to work.
Now I just need to make some cables for the other boards and figure out what I actually want to use the boards for.
I can also report success. I followed this idea and altered a 6-Pin Micro Fit to 6-Pin Mini Fit Jr cable and stuffed the leads into the corresponding ports in the ram-koenig ATX adapter. Since I don't have the proper Mini Fit Jr pins, I...made....others..."fit". Hot glue is in use. But I will optimize it. My Tesla P4 is recognized in stock F09 BIOS.

Reactions: domsepay

jnrnbt.

Sep 21, 2023
Germany
Hello @jnrnbt. Did you finish the template for the ioshield ?
Can you share it ?

Thanks
Hey Folks, sorry, i was offline here for a longer period.

At first, here´s my designed I/O Shield for use in Autodesk Fusion (.f3d) or direct printing (.3mf). It´s not perfect, but fitted inside my Kolink mITX Case.
gigabyte mj11-ec1

Additionally back in october I bought an adapter from SFF-8611 4i to SFF8654 for the SL_SAS named port which didn´t work. I could not find if i already posted this here.

I didn´t put much more energy to the MJ11 story as the one board i bought works flawless since november and the other sits in a powered off nas box until i have more time for this project.

janek202

Feb 4, 2023
Maybe someone will find it useful.
After enabling IOMMU in the bios, it's possible to pass the onboard SATA controller to a VM (like TrueNAS) in Proxmox installed on NVMe.

Reactions: Lighti and etorix

lithdk

Feb 6, 2024
Is anybody else having random shutdowns on these boards? It's now happening to 2 of my 3 boards. I've tried swapping memory and PSUs around to no avail. The only log entry I can find is in IPMI Event Log it is not telling me much:
ID: 3276 Unknown sensor of type power_unit logged a bios : Power Off / Power Down was asserted

Gymnae

Nov 20, 2023
Is anybody else having random shutdowns on these boards? It's now happening to 2 of my 3 boards. I've tried swapping memory and PSUs around to no avail. The only log entry I can find is in IPMI Event Log it is not telling me much:
ID: 3276 Unknown sensor of type power_unit logged a bios : Power Off / Power Down was asserted
I had it once. Could not reproduce it

ilmari

Jan 23, 2024
Does the board have any pins, which could be used for connecting 2-pin temperature sensor?

etorix

Sep 28, 2021
Guys, I found IO shield :)

In case you dont have bambu account, file is attached. Created a zip because forum does not allow 3mf files...
Dont know if author is the one from this topic, but file is pretty recent. Didnt manage to print yet, but in picture it seems awesome.

EDIT: installed bambu studio and converted file to STL, printing now with prusaslicer
A friend of mine was so kind and modelled his own IO shield for me, you can find it on his repository.

Fits perfectly and better than the one found by @joer34 .

Now I can finally finish this build :).
Is there someone in Europe who could print one of these shields for a reasonable fee and send it by post to a fellow forumer without a 3D printer?

jxta

May 4, 2021
Folks quick question, I have 2x 12v pico-psu that im using to power two different machines (both PSU work) the thing is that these two PSU are different somehow, the "bigger" one does not work in the MJ11 (the one with the transparent atx connector), the one with the red atx connector works as expected. Now what might be different between these two for having only the red one to work?

Attachments

Last edited:

etorix

Sep 28, 2021
@jxta For my tests, I'm powering the board with a Streacom Nano-160 PSU. It works.
I trust you're plugging both the CPU (4-/8-pin) and the ATX (24-pin) connectors?

Another question: Has someone found a way to switch the Slimline 4i connector to NVMe? It seems to work only as 4*SATA.

jxta

May 4, 2021
@jxta For my tests, I'm powering the board with a Streacom Nano-160 PSU. It works.
I trust you're plugging both the CPU (4-/8-pin) and the ATX (24-pin) connectors?

Another question: Has someone found a way to switch the Slimline 4i connector to NVMe? It seems to work only as 4*SATA.
Yeah fully connected, the thing is that both PSU work in a different MB, (160w and 300w) but when using them in the MJ11 the only working is the 160w (the one with the red ATX connector from my prev images). I am not sure if the ATX connector provided with the MB might be configured differently or if the pinout does not work as expected.