Dead Board?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
i got a X9DRH-7TF but couldn't get it post. the board got sas fault led lights on and beep when power on. tried to reset bios and no luck. RMA rejected from SM since it's out of warranty. does anyone know if the board is dead?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Can you get into the IPMI? If so you could try flashing the latest BIOS (assuming you buy or otherwise know how to get a key) just to see if it helps. I've bought a few "dead" boards for cheap that just needed a new BIOS.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
good idea, the board keeps resetting when powering up, i might give a try to see ipmi works when power off.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
believe or not, its actually the power supply issue, i swapped to another power supply and everything works fine, thanks for all the recommendation and help! :)

Reactions: Aestr

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Can you get into the IPMI? If so you could try flashing the latest BIOS (assuming you buy or otherwise know how to get a key) just to see if it helps. I've bought a few "dead" boards for cheap that just needed a new BIOS.
Not to hijack the thread, but are there any tricks to this, other than having a key code? Earlier this year, I bought a X9DRD-IF off eBay which tested OK when it arrived, but wouldn't boot when I got around to installing it in a chassis a month later. IPMI works, but it seems "dead" otherwise. Would be great if I could revive it!

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Not to hijack the thread, but are there any tricks to this, other than having a key code? Earlier this year, I bought a X9DRD-IF off eBay which tested OK when it arrived, but wouldn't boot when I got around to installing it in a chassis a month later. IPMI works, but it seems "dead" otherwise. Would be great if I could revive it!
Here is the thread has the link to how to generate the code.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/x10drh-ct-bios-password-reset.24606/

Reactions: Markess

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@Markess make sure to check with a different PSU, failure to power on is exactly what i have experienced SM boards do when they for some reason, don't like the PSU.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
@Markess make sure to check with a different PSU, failure to power on is exactly what i have experienced SM boards do when they for some reason, don't like the PSU.
Good advice. I did pull a PSU from a working Supermicro X9 build to test this board, and it didn't help.

Okay, that worked really well to generate a code that let me flash the new BIOS via IPMI with the board off. I'll definitely use that trick in the future.

Sadly, the board is still dead! Trying to power on on via the front panel switch and via IPMI both do nothing. If I force the power supply to come on (connect Pin 15 on the ATX cable with a ground pin), the Power On LED on the board comes on as well, but nothing else does. Power draw goes up to about 20 watts, but that's probably just the PSU itself with its two 40mm fans on full. In that configuration, the power switch and IPMI boot commands still don't work.

So I guess in my case, I guess its probably really dead.