router/switch with 10GE input and 1GE output ports

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I am looking for router/switch 1U rackspace that can take in 10Gbps port and distribute to multiple 1Gbps ports (24 or 48 1Gbps ports are fine) but just need to be able to take in 10Gbps

Thanks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Did you change your build out plans? I thought you were only looking at using a few machines at first. Even full 1G ports are expensive in datacenters. Even at that volume it's a minimum of $400 just for bandwidth. 10G ports are often many thousands of dollars monthly.

Combining both router and switch in the 24-48 port range is going to cost a lot. A full 10G port and hw is going to cost big $$$$

Zuhkov

Dec 30, 2012
Texas
I assume the router part is a must-have? Gigabit switches with 10Gbps can be had relatively reasonably (Woven/Fortinet LB4/TRX100, for example), but adding router functionality really ups the cost. How many gigabit ports do you need? Could you do an x86 router with 10Gbps as uplink and then a couple multiport gigabit cards on the LAN side?

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Sorry i haven't attended this thread for a while

A great use scenario for this is a 42-47U rack with 10G uplink. So way to share that 10G with all servers on the rack in 1G input each.

Well to be sincere i am just gathering information and researching for a future project. At the moment i am only considering a few shared rackspace 5U with 1G uplink. The only reason i brought up the router part is to be able to create my own private network and not rely on what the provider gives me. I mean does this make sense? or can a switch create private network? I don't think so..but doesn't hurt to confirm.