ZFSonLinux (aka ZoL) now at version 0.7 - big update imo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
i'm looking forward to playing with these features including the latency stats in realtime with zpool iostat, check out the link for more info

Release zfs-0.7.0 · zfsonlinux/zfs · GitHub

Ok, ok, i might be a fanboy, but ZFS is what brought me to STH so there's some nostalgia bias here given all the coolness of both ZFS and STH

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
@gigatexal Had this running in on my devel pools with an hour of the zfs-announce email, so far so good, and like the new features! I'm mostly happy, but a bit sad. I'd written a bunch of tools for our production ZFS deployments to allow for good enclosure management (nice slot/enclosure names, fault lights, etc.) seems to be baked in to ZFS now and my tools are now useless ;) Haven't tested all these JBOD features yet though due to some time constraints so I reserve final judgement, but if it as it says..my code is now obsoleted.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
@gigatexal Had this running in on my devel pools with an hour of the zfs-announce email, so far so good, and like the new features! I'm mostly happy, but a bit sad. I'd written a bunch of tools for our production ZFS deployments to allow for good enclosure management (nice slot/enclosure names, fault lights, etc.) seems to be baked in to ZFS now and my tools are now useless ;) Haven't tested all these JBOD features yet though due to some time constraints so I reserve final judgement, but if it as it says..my code is now obsoleted.
Haha bummer dude. But progress! Glad you like the features. I’m really impressed with the project.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Does anyone know if for ubuntu 16.04.2 the upgrade path is to add the PPA or if we should just wait for Canonical to update?

Reactions: nitrobass24

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I think not many, if even any distributions will upgrade their packages to 0.7.0
Currently there are still some issues listed with 0.7, as expected for a major release.

Before putting any important data on this i'd personally wait for two or three maintenance releases and watch the GitHub issues closely what else comes up and what was fixed.

Currently the best/only way to try is maybe build your own.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
After a recent upgrade snafu, I'm right at the crossroads with this. I was considering using 0.7, but I have been seeing reports of poorer performance over ver 0.65, which is what I'm currently using. Is anyone actually using ver 0.7? Is it really worse in performance terms than the previous version? More importantly, is it stable enough yet to trust your precious stuff with?

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I'd really wait until either major distributions adopt to it or at least the next one or two maint. realeases are out.
There is still too much that can be annoying, besides performance
Panic - PANIC at zfs_vfsops.c:583:zfs_space_delta_cb() · Issue #6474 · zfsonlinux/zfs · GitHub
zfs 0.7.0 release version created pool failed with libudev-147 · Issue #6458 · zfsonlinux/zfs · GitHub
Resilver broken in v0.7.0-1 · Issue #6469 · zfsonlinux/zfs · GitHub
etc..

I have a small pool i don't care about. Will give 0.7.x a try on proxmox on this, but decided not to do so with 7,0.0 as this most certainly ends up in wasting quite a bit of time.

Reactions: pricklypunter

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I'd really wait until either major distributions adopt to it or at least the next one or two maint. realeases are out.
There is still too much that can be annoying, besides performance
Panic - PANIC at zfs_vfsops.c:583:zfs_space_delta_cb() · Issue #6474 · zfsonlinux/zfs · GitHub
zfs 0.7.0 release version created pool failed with libudev-147 · Issue #6458 · zfsonlinux/zfs · GitHub
Resilver broken in v0.7.0-1 · Issue #6469 · zfsonlinux/zfs · GitHub
etc..

I have a small pool i don't care about. Will give 0.7.x a try on proxmox on this, but decided not to do so with 7,0.0 as this most certainly ends up in wasting quite a bit of time.
Yea, I looked over the bug tracking list a few days ago, it didn't instill a lot of confidence in me at this point. I have absolutely no doubt that these things will be pretty swiftly sorted out though, but I think you're right, I'll stick it on the back burner for now and give it some time to mature :)

XeonLab

Aug 14, 2016
It would be interesting to see the performance difference between default settings vs. AVX2/512 when using Skylake-SP CPU...

Reactions: gigatexal

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I waited for 0.7.1, and just started moving data onto to a new zpool using skein checksums yesterday! The new checksums came to FreeNAS/FreBSD 11 sooner, but I wanted to wait for ZOL support before using them, since I run both. After much research, sha512 is the conservative new checksum to use - moderate performance increase and full compatibility for booting, skein is the middle ground with a great performance boost, but non-bootable, and edon-r is the collision prone speed demon many folks suggest you avoid (at least for general use)

I need to add my zeusram to the pool I'm writing to to see how fast it can go, it's a single VDEV of 5400RPM spinners, so automatic on-disk zil is currently limited to one device's max throughput. I'm currently only able to move stuff at 1TB/hour right now, but CPU usage seems lower than it would have been before from an old pool to old pool copy on all cores/threads of my e3-1265L v2 - I need to take some actual measurements though.

Reactions: gigatexal

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I retired my Centos 6 box, so my ZOL is running on Centos 7 currently - I want to migrate to Arch to get the rolling release benefits, but since ZOL 0.7.1 got here before I got around to setting it up, I'm doing my pool re-architecting now on the old system.

I have missed the easy upgrade timeframe too many times with Fedora and Ubuntu systems and been on stuck with no repositories upstream by the time I have time to deal with the upgrade. I should probably consider proxmox as well, but first I want to take a crack at Arch.