Cheap fast quiet server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Had to check how much extra I'd have to pay to get this - and it's $ 660 :D
For some reason it defaults to the UPS 660 USD shipping, but at least for me there is also 163 USPS shipping option.
Of course that is almost as much as the bare server itself so it may be a moot point.

Northern

Dec 2, 2015
Ok, I will add my if...
If it only took UnBuffered Non-ECC Ram or Buffered ECC... but Nooooo, it takes the crazy expensive UnBuffered ECC stuff...

Reactions: Cadal

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
For me it says free standard shipping to USA address?
$785.07 shipping to Australia. Ha ha
I'd get a USA third party shipper to send it here for MUCH cheaper.
(Though returns could be problematic sending it back)

Cadal

Jul 8, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Is that next day international delivery something?!

Seems good, but as not supermicro, expensive unbuffered ram, 40mm high pitch fans... hmm water cooling looks interesting though..

brinox

May 7, 2013
Technically you can get cheap, fast and quiet, but the trade-off is a combination of taking up a LOT more space and/or putting existing components into a new larger chassis and replacing fans. With most server mainboards that you can buy retail, they have regular 4-pin PWM fan headers, but their fan controllers/BIOS fan settings leave a lot to be desired.

I have a Supermicro X8DTL-iF that has two Xeon L5640's that I used for transcoding my ever growing movie collection. I have it in a regular case with 4 Arctic Cooling F12-PWM PST case fans that are daisy-chained off the main processor fan headers. If the processor kicks out enough heat that processor heatsink fan spools up, and the case fans follow suit automatically. Its a pretty good semi-homebrew system, and I use it in my gaming desktop as well.

Reactions: Boddy

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I really like the high clock speed on the E3's, lower latency often means a lot more shit gets done, one example is fsync performace is a lot better when you have fast single thread performance. Two E5-26XX core CPU's are only faster and more energy efficent for specific workloads, you also have to keep in mind that you have the NUMA overhead. Many workloads today with a lot of number crunching is done on the GPU, so a lot of CPU cores isn't necessarily as sexy at it sounds like.

I wouldn't underestimate the E3's, especially for homelab. They are excellent as firewalls, VPN, DNS, web-servers, database. In fact I run all this on one box for my company, with 30 VPN clients and I use less than 4GB ram, and that includes a Tomcat instance that consumes at least 1GB for itself.

Reactions: Boddy

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Also note: I asked the seller about rails and apparently they are not included but can be purchased separately.
Doh, of course there is a simple solution, thanks for the suggestion :)

I ordered two, hopefully the third party shipper I am using (ShopUSA) will not cost much more than their estimate calculator specified. They only give you the exact amount when they have received the product, but then they also handle VAT payment etc., which is awesome.

rune-san

Feb 7, 2014
I'd think that with a CLC like that and no fans installed in the mid-bridge, hard drive thermals in such a unit would be atrocious. There's not nearly enough airflow pulling air through the front of the chassis to keep the hard drives in recommended range.

JCH

Jan 2, 2017
I actually DM'd them previously about purchasing this Tyan server, but they responded with this message yesterday. Unsure if this is alarming or not?

Last edited: