We need a firewall suggestion for a small business.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RchGrav

Aug 21, 2015
Don't get me wrong.. I'm not saying this is the solution.. I'm just saying it looks neat to me.

The one thing which annoys me to no end is the proprietary nature of their solution.. it's their ecosystem of products and no one else is invited.

Installing AP's and seeing inactive graphs on the main dashboard of Unifi saying "This Feature Requires a Unifi Switch, or Gateway, or whatever." and there is no feasable way to collect that data from a product like fpSense or any other solution.

Incomplete and half working things with pieces to have the full solution are a pet peeve.. So I feel like I have to go all in and only recommend it for a small business as a nice all in one integrated solution... These types of restrictions are much harder in the enterprise.. how many companies are going to drop their whole infrastructure and do it from scratch vs finding a company with a product that will co-operate with what they have already.

My 2 cents

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I too was impressed by the "apparent" level of detailed stats available via the UniFi controller if you have a security gateway. However I am concerned about the level of control/functionality that comes with the gateway. Also haven't been able to find any in depth reviews.
I agree pfsense can be a pita but it does offer a high level of functionality, if/when you can manage to configure it.
Has anyone tried the (fork) opnSense?

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
If you are not too worried about cost, maybe take a look at the meraki security appliances. We found them exceptional from a get it up and running with no prior expertise perspective. Using their products was always very intuitive and Support above average. Cloud based management is not for everyone, but helps greatly in the functionality per hour invested ratio :)