Killer Xeon D Home Lab w/10Gb Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
I've decided to go a different route for the Home Lab and moving to Skull Canyon NUCs. To be completely honest, these servers need to be in a better place so they can be utilized to their full potential At this point, they aren't running many workloads. Basically my Nutanix Community Edition lab, and it's just overkill for that purpose at this time.

The Lab Contains the following and I want to start by offering a package deal at heavy discount before I split anything up so please don't ask for individual items or to split up. I will give this some time as i'm not in a rush to sell so ONLY offloading this as a package deal for now.

I have THREE identically configured servers with the following config:

- Supermicro SYS-5018D-FN4T Xeon D 1541 8-Core Servers each contain the following
- 4 x Supermicro MEM-DR432L-SL01-ER24 (128GB per server total)
- Supermicro MCP-310-50501-0B Air shroud for great cooling
- Supermicro MCP-220-00044-0N 2 x 2.5 HD/SDD retention bracket

- 1 x Netgear XS708e 10Gb Switch

Total at WiredZone for this comes out to a little over $6k for the servers alone. The switch lowest I can find is $780.

PACKAGE PRICE SHIPPED CONT US ONLY: SOLD

All items shipped in their original boxes.

I take Paypal or USPS Money Order. No other forms of payment will be accepted. I have excellent eBay under harddrive41 and Heatware feedback under FnG41 so no I will not ship first.

Serious buyers only please and References are a must. All items are in excellent condition and lightly used. This was purchased in June of this year from Wiredzone.

PM or email me msvirtualguy at gmail dot com

Last edited:
Reactions: wsuff

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
BTW, one option i'm open to for offsetting some of the cost is a partial trade for 2 x Intel Skull Canyon NUCs both with 32GB RAM. No SSD's required. New @ newegg is around $1500 so used around $1300 of credit towards the package.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
How are you getting 10GbE on the NUCs? I now have three friends that curse their hyper-converged NUC labs because they got network limited and spent a lot of time and money upgrading to E5's. One got a single E5, used nested virtualization and build a single node "lab" which was neat. He disguised it a subwoofer and his wife and kids didn't even realize he still had a lab running lol. :D:D:D

I've got a feeling you'll be back to 10GbE soon!

That is a nice setup and you're going to make someone really happy.

J--

Aug 13, 2016
How are you getting 10GbE on the NUCs?
You can attach one through Thunderbolt 3, there's been several PCIe 3.0 x16 breakout boxes via TB3 (which would be a little extreme), I bet someone will come up w/ a more "normal" solution in the future.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
How are you getting 10GbE on the NUCs? I now have three friends that curse their hyper-converged NUC labs because they got network limited and spent a lot of time and money upgrading to E5's. One got a single E5, used nested virtualization and build a single node "lab" which was neat. He disguised it a subwoofer and his wife and kids didn't even realize he still had a lab running lol. :D:D:D

I've got a feeling you'll be back to 10GbE soon!

That is a nice setup and you're going to make someone really happy.
The easy answer is i'm not...for now anyway.

Reactions: KioskAdmin

asintado08

Sep 16, 2014
I don't need three set of servers. I only need one. Are you willing to sell one? PM the lowest price that you will take.

BTW, I live in Philippines so I will ask you to ship the items to a forwarder.

mlp

Jul 18, 2016
Just a quick note to say that I purchased these, and wanted to say a public word of thanks to virtualfng. I appreciate him working with me for this purchase. He was easy to communicate with, and very responsive. They arrived packed immaculately and exactly as promised. Wonderful seller, and would not hesitate to buy from him again.

Now the fun part - to get all this up and running!