Recent content by Xamayon

1. X

Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 31S1P Special Price Promotion of $195*

There's a GUI thing built into the Intel MIC stuff which can enable the low power states, but there are also command line config utilities in there too if the GUI is not usable for whatever reason. I don't remember the specifics, but the commands are covered by the documentation pretty well. One...
  2. X

With the fan modification they are pretty tolerable noise wise, you can lower the speed a great deal and still cool the phi cards adequately. It's basically as loud as a typical 1u server at that point. They do put out a lot of heat under load, (~250 watts for each phi, and the standard PSU...
  3. X

The 1U Tesla things are basically just two PCI-e expanders, both accepting two 16X cards. There is no special Tesla specific configuration as far as interfacing with the host goes. If everything is hooked up properly, the unit turns on and the cards just show up. Unless you modify it to never...
  4. X

Potential deal on Supermicro 846B chassis with SAS2/920P-SQ/more

I'd be interested in one or two if enough people back out. Just let me know.
  5. X

EXPIRED Intel 1.6TB DC SSD P3605 - $470 BIN

Actually, upon closer inspection, if you hold them to the light just right you can see there WAS info on the label about FW rev, SN and Oracle PN but that it has been selectively erased. A bit shady. The FW revision shows as RA10 SSD Toolbox shows FW as '8DV1' and no health info, which is to...
  6. X

EXPIRED Intel 1.6TB DC SSD P3605 - $470 BIN

Just received the two I ordered, and the images in the listing are not modified. They legitimately don't have any FW rev info or Oracle PN info on the label. Might be a few days before I have a system set up to actually test/use them.
  7. X

Hitachi 3TB Ultrastar SAS HDD 7.2K HUS724030ALS64 (10x for $350 OBO, 20x for $650 OBO) free shipping

Haven't had a chance to test that yet, but looking at the desktop version's review on storage review it's not super hopeful. They show the lowest sustained write speed at about what I got earlier. Would have to do a more thorough test to make sure it's not just writing to inner area of platter...
  8. X

Hitachi 3TB Ultrastar SAS HDD 7.2K HUS724030ALS64 (10x for $350 OBO, 20x for $650 OBO) free shipping

Also, I was able to reformat these disks into T10-PI Type2 mode, which provides end to end data protection capabilities when used with a modern SAS controller such as the MegaRaid 9265-8i. More info on T10-PI: https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/End-to-end_Data_Protection.pdf The...
  9. X

I was able to pull smart data off one of them. Not much there, is there a better command to use for SAS drives? Load unload count is a bit high, but that might indicate they weren't being thrashed 24/7 for the past 5 years. Might have just seen periodic usage for backups/archiving or some such...
  10. X

These disks support multiple sector sizes (iirc, 512, 520, and 528) without altering their reported capacity. There are a few ways they could do this, but one of the worst possible ways I can think of would be to have the sectors always be 528, and just skip the latter part of each sector when...
  11. X

when I get a chance I'll try them with the larger sectors on t10 capable controller. Just speculation, but using them as normal 512 disks may degrade write perf due to sequential writes not actually being sequential.
  12. X

Wasn't able to pull smart data, the HBA I tried doesn't seem to pass it properly. Performance wise they seem pretty good so far:
  13. X

Probably not, I believe they have said they destroy drives when they are done with them. That and they seem to use drives until they die anyway. The first 20 of the set I ordered arrived. I don't have a system with an hba and free slots ready so won't be able to do smart checks easily. I'll...
  14. X

Semi work related, I run a large-ish reverse image search engine (SauceNAO.com) and have to acquire a lot of data for indexing purposes. The whole setup is pretty hacky, but here is a pic of my 'desktop pc' rack: http://xamayon.net/rack2.jpg Pic is pretty old at this point. I've had to stack...
  15. X

I'm in for 80, they appear to support the t10 data protection stuff which when used with a compatible controller detects/corrects data integrity issues end to end. Seems like an insane deal, hopefully no surprises. I have a few of the encryption version of these (a 1 instead of 0 at end of...