Hitachi 3TB Ultrastar SAS HDD 7.2K HUS724030ALS64 (10x for $350 OBO, 20x for $650 OBO) free shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks, OP. I picked up 10 earlier today for $300. I'm hoping to use these as backup drives so a bit of usage doesn't bother me that much. Just hoping this is legit and most have no bad blocks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
meh... so, i was also really tempted to get these, but like i said, i have 18 of them in a couple of machines and the sequential write performance kind of sucked. i didn't want to get more unless I could confirm the write performance issue wasn't the drives. so, just to make sure that it wasn't the drives but something else, i took those drives out of the system and swapped them with the drives in another server that has HGST 4TB SATA drives that got over 800MB/sec sequential writes sustained over 40GB. (simple dd test, basically) sadly, still the same numbers... with these drives, i only get about 400MB/sec sequential writes in a 8x HDD fresh raidz2 configuration. pop the 4TB SATA drives back in, and I get 800MB/sec sequential writes. if you look at it as 8 drives - 2 parity = 6, 400MB/sec/6= 67MB/sec per drive???

if you want to do a lot of sequential writes, like stream backups to these drives over 10Gb, you would only be able to use less than half the 10Gb pipe; unless perhaps if you add more spindles to the mix.

anyway, now i'm on the fence. the price is right here, but these drives clearly have some limitations.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
couldn't you have tested this with only one drive and dd?
sure. there's many ways to test. it's just that i usually test with the final configuration, in this case a 8xHDD ZFS raidz2, and then i noticed the sequential writes were pretty poor compared to the systems with the HGST 4TB SATA drives. anyway, i was just trying to confirm it was the drives without changing too many variables so I had a better apples vs apples comparison.

i still don't understand why these drives perform so poorly at sequential writes? I just found the spec sheet at:

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/US7K4000_ds.pdf

And they shouldn't be like that, these HUS724030ALS640 compared to the HUS724040ALE640 should be very similar other than SAS vs SATA and the capacity (the 4TB has an extra platter + pair of heads).

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
can't imagine these are so much slower, had only results ,as expected' with hgst hdd. maybe smth with the Pool isn't 100% right and you have write amplification. have you looked at sector sizes and ashift?

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
I'm in for 80, they appear to support the t10 data protection stuff which when used with a compatible controller detects/corrects data integrity issues end to end. Seems like an insane deal, hopefully no surprises.

I have a few of the encryption version of these (a 1 instead of 0 at end of model number), and they do run a bit hot. Since I just recently got 26 8TB drives I hesitated a bit, but could not resist. I think I'll be set storage wise for a while... XD
Damn! Please tell me this is work related and not for your home? If it is for home, 224TB existing plus another 240TB coming means you need to show us some sexy home server pics! :)

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
can't imagine these are so much slower, had only results ,as expected' with hgst hdd. maybe smth with the Pool isn't 100% right and you have write amplification. have you looked at sector sizes and ashift?
the HUS724030ALS640 drives have 512 sectors, which I specifically checked when i got them. however, they have IBM branded firmware; that might be the only difference I can speculate on to explain the write performance difference; but I don't know why IBM would do something to the firmware of these drives to make them perform poorly vs the regular HGST firmware? in a way, this is why I'm posting here to see if others with these 3TB drives are experiencing the same issue or if it is just the set of drives I have that have poor write performance?

both pools on the 3TB set and the 4TB set were created with the exact same commands; fresh new pool. I didn't mess with ashift as these days I believe ZoL takes care of that automatically and it usually isn't an issue with regular HDD.

Xamayon

Jan 7, 2016
Damn! Please tell me this is work related and not for your home? If it is for home, 224TB existing plus another 240TB coming means you need to show us some sexy home server pics! :)
Semi work related, I run a large-ish reverse image search engine (SauceNAO.com) and have to acquire a lot of data for indexing purposes. The whole setup is pretty hacky, but here is a pic of my 'desktop pc' rack:

http://xamayon.net/rack2.jpg

Pic is pretty old at this point. I've had to stack chassis elsewhere since I'm out of rack space... Now I'll need to get a few more of the supermicro 45+ drive bay chassis when they are cheap again.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
The seller: sellitoff508 has around 900 3TB drives left out of 1048. No need to hurry:). I might buy a few hundred if he offers me decent prices, if anyone in EU needs let me know.

dtrv

Nov 23, 2016
The seller: sellitoff508 has around 900 3TB drives left out of 1048. No need to hurry:). I might buy a few hundred if he offers me decent prices, if anyone in EU needs let me know.
How to ship a few hundred? In 20er boxes?
Where in EU does the drives go?

I made an offer for 10 but didn't get a respone yet. I'll let you know ... maybe to your price, maybe with drive-reports.

Gesendet von meinem ONE E1003 mit Tapatalk

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
let shipito or another forwarder consolidate, or maybe dispatched on a pallette.
for sure there are way's to get them here, i received an 4U fat-twin via eBay gls for not so much money :D

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I have 18 of these drives in a couple of systems. I don't seem to get very good write performance on them. Anyone else noticed this? For example, 8x HDD in ZFS raidz2, doing a 40GB sequential write to them sustains around 400MB/sec. Sequential read seems to be "okay", at around 800MB/sec.

In contrast, I have two other systems with 8x HDD (HGST 4TB SATA 7200RPM from 2014), similar raidz2, and I get 1GB/sec sequential reads, and about 800MB/sec sequential writes.

All systems have LSI SAS2008 based controller with a Supermicro 825TQ backplane.
7k3000 vs 7k4000; jumped a drive gen. Same platter and headcount for 1TB more capacity, so more data under the head each rev. Both 512n or 512n vs 4k?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
7k3000 vs 7k4000; jumped a drive gen. Same platter and headcount for 1TB more capacity, so more data under the head each rev. Both 512n or 512n vs 4k?
there you go!!! that i think is the answer...

these drives are NOT "HUS724030ALS640" as the listing title shows. They are in fact, "HUS723030ALS640", which can be seen in the photo of the label. So, yes, these drives have 512b sectors and are apparently slower than the 7K4000 series of the HUS724040ALE640 4TB SATA drives that have native 4k physical sectors.

Both the title to this thread and the ebay listing need to be corrected...

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
btw, just to complete the conversation on this topic, I went back and checked the ashift and sector size. it was correct, on these HUS723030ALS640 drives, it reported 512b sectors, and ashift=9. on the 4TB HUS724040ALE640 drives, it repoted 4k physical/512b logical sectors, and ashift=12. So, ZoL did pick the correct ashift.

I think these HUS723030ALS640 are just slower because they are an older generation technology than HUS724030ALE640, and the native smaller sectors doesn't help with sequential writes.

JDMWAAAT

Owner, serverbuilds.net
Aug 15, 2016
forums.serverbuilds.net
Semi work related, I run a large-ish reverse image search engine (SauceNAO.com) and have to acquire a lot of data for indexing purposes. The whole setup is pretty hacky, but here is a pic of my 'desktop pc' rack:

http://xamayon.net/rack2.jpg

Pic is pretty old at this point. I've had to stack chassis elsewhere since I'm out of rack space... Now I'll need to get a few more of the supermicro 45+ drive bay chassis when they are cheap again.
I'm selling my supermicro 45 bay if you're interested.

Northern

Dec 2, 2015
The seller sent me a message on ebay asking me to confirm that I knew these were SAS drives (and not SATA) ! A very proactive thing to do... makes me even more confident that this is legit....

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The seller sent me a message on ebay asking me to confirm that I knew these were SAS drives (and not SATA) ! A very proactive thing to do... makes me even more confident that this is legit....
yeah, i've been in communications with the seller. i think they are legit; don't know how much experience they have selling computer gear, but i don't think this is a scam. i just think they listed the wrong model hard drive - they are selling the 7K3000 generation HGST drive not the 7K4000