Recent content by vanfront

1. V

Hyper-V over SMB

I have a hyperconverged cluster running fine for 3+ years without a reboot. Now added a separate Hyper-V host with Azure Backup Server doing backups of the cluster over SMB. What's important is networking speed, and ideally redundant. Go with 25 Gbit+ NICs with RDMA support. Enable priority...
  2. V

HPE DL380 Gen10 NVMe compatibility

I am running Samsung pm983a on DL380 Gen10 without any issues. Another Samsung via a $10 PCIe adaptor (wouldn't say contriller, there are just wires on a PCB) as a boot drive. Works flawlessly, no BIOS tweaking or settings needed.
  3. V

AWS backup solution suggestion

Not sure what you want to backup. To automate a regular backup upload to S3 / Glacier, you could script FastGlacier or S3 Browser as a DIY solution. Not free, but reasonably cheap. If Azure were an option, Microsoft has the MS Azure Backup Server (MABS). But it needs quite some local storage. I...
  4. V

Windows Server 2022 Datacenter Core (23H2 / Build 25398), AMD X570 and Ryzen 9 3900X with random lockups/freezes

Side note: I wouldn't install AD on a hypervisor. I'd use a separate VM to run AD, DHCP, and DNS (and have two such AD VMs). In addition, I wouldn't use Server Core unless forced to in a home lab environment. Not having the GUI tools is just too painful.
  5. V

Making my 40 Gbit Ethernet redundant, need switch recommendation

Thanks, I will look into this box. Arista is one of the brands I understand many folks here use.
  6. V

Making my 40 Gbit Ethernet redundant, need switch recommendation

I have a 4-node Supermicro cluster running Windows Server 2019 with Storage Spaces Direct. This is connected through a single Mellanox SX6012. Each node has a SIOM module with a QSFP+ NIC, cappable of 100 Gbit, plus an additional Mellanox ConnectX 3 NIC. I will be adding a second 4-node...
  7. V

XEONS Available 8259CL,8175M,8124M,8160.e5-2623 V4 and a few 8275cl

Anyone can suggest a motherboard compatible with those 8259CL Xeons? The TDP might be a problem, as it is reported as 210 W (here, here, and discussion here). I looked for Supermicro, but can't seem to find one with 210 W TDP support. All end on 205 W. I intend to build a 4-node cluster, so...
  8. V

Anybody run their own local Windows update server using WSUS?

I have been running a local WSUS for years. My experience so far, in line with what others said here: use a separate MS SQL instance and follow this Microsoft guide to improve WSUS DB's performance (just ignore the Configuration Manager part and do the SQL part) give it a plenty of disk space...
  9. V

Uneven data and traffic distribution among servers in an S2D cluster

I think I've traced the issue to where it started: However, the server did not lose power, BSOD, or reboot for whatever reason. Before I rebooted it yesterday, the uptime was consistent with the remaining three nodes. All four drives came back just after a minute:
  10. V

Uneven data and traffic distribution among servers in an S2D cluster

I have a 4-node S2D cluster running on Windows Server 2019. It's a HCI setup, used to run several developer VMs. There's a single S2D volume made of 12 x 1.9 TB Samsung NVMe U2 drives, 4 per each node. Node are connected via an isolated 56 Gbit network, using Mellanox hardware, and connected...
  11. V

(Worldwide) MicroCloud, CPU and Memory

Could you please post pictures for the Xeon W-1290P server?
  12. V

Facebook login not working

Works now! Thanks!
  13. V

Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+ Mobo GPU's and power options

I've been researching how to supply more power to Fusion-IO ioDrive2 Duo cards in a X9DRi-LN4F+. I couldn't find any reasonable information in the mobo's manual, so turned to Supermicro's support. Sharing my findings: Q1: I can't find any information regarding what power (watts) the individual...
  14. V

EU [FS] Sale of excess ThinkPad T470, docks, desktop PCs

I'm selling a bunch of excess laptops and desktops. Shipping from Czech Republic, preferably to EU countries. You will get an invoice for each item. Buyers from Czech Republic would have to factor in VAT. Payment ideally by a bank transfer (SEPA) in EUR. Alternatively, I can do PayPal but this...