Recent content by Ultra

1. U

Maximum Distance Between Workstation and RAID Server

@ Blinky42: thanks ! is there a spec that states at what distance receivers are needed ? or how is one gonna figure this out ?
  2. U

What is the transceiver for ? Is it for actually enabling 40G or is it only needed for long distance 40G connections ? In other words: for a short connection of 10m or less, do all end point devices need a transceiver + the card ?
  3. U

well, maybe I'm looking at the wrong prices or at the wrong parts required... ;-) but right now, it's 80-100 bucks (long SAS cable with converters) vs. 1000 bucks (40G setup in at least the RAID server and the single workstation)... (like I said, the current long cable RAID server setup doesn't...
  4. U

yes absolutely, plan for this setup is simply a direct connection (using an 8-10m cable) between the controller (in the workstation) and the expander (in the RAID server)...
  5. U

Gea, as I posted, the internal RAID we have already delivers 1GB+/s... we need 2.3GB+/s read performance to play back 6K DPX image sequences in real time 24fps. continuously. throughout the day. also, video editing is usually not done on 6K files (it is done on much smaller proxies)...
  6. U

I don't have the PCIe slots, but besides how would I merge all 3 HBA's to one single RAID ? main objective is to get max speed with one large Raid 0... what am I missing ? this particular RAID is used to play DPX files back in realtime @ 24 fps, the DPX are ~ 96MB per frame. so we need...
  7. U

Hi guys, thank u all for the great input. Really helps putting everything in perspective for future setups. Alright, fortunately the current requirement is much "easier" than some of the scenarios described here ;-) I need to deliver hard drive read speed of at least 2.3 GB/s (preferably...
  8. U

@ chuckleb: thank u for the link ! I searched on ebay yday and did not find anything... don't worry about R0 data safety, we got that covered. @ lucidrenegade: yes, that seems to be the way to go. thank u. @ Blinky42: Thank u for the overview. We need 24Gbps+. The current 16GFC is too slow for...
  9. U

Hi guys, we are looking to move our 8 disk RAID 0 (which is currently inside a workstation) into a 24 unit server chassis, so we can extend the Raid 0 to 24 drives and increase the max I/O of the Raid. Read/write speed is the most important factor for us - we deal with very large video/image...