Recent content by tsteine

1. T

Synology DS1821+ SFP Networking

I've had a mellanox connectx-3 40gbe adapter in my DS 1821+, they work fine, and runs the same driver as the 10GBE variant, though I tested it on version 6.2, I've not tested it on DSM 7, since the connectx3 was repurposed for something else, and it's now running an intel X710-DA2. Though MLX4...
  2. T

Esxi free is dead. Alternative?

I replaced ESXi with KubeVirt installed on RKE2, Ubuntu OS, with Rook Ceph storage. Looking at replacing Ceph with 2 standalone active/passive failover NFS nodes, since Ceph performance is absymal even on NVME storage with 5 nodes with appropriately scaled PGs on rados block device pool on...
  3. T

Bare-metal, single node iSCSI SAN software with web-based UI that doesn't use ZFS, costs nothing and is actively developed

Does cockpit-storaged support configuring an iscsi target? I thought it was primarily for managing the linux host as an initiator connecting to iscsi targets?
  4. T

AWS backup solution suggestion

If you have 10 or fewer physical servers to back up, the free Veeam community edition might work? https://www.veeam.com/veeam_data_platform_feature_comparison_ds.pdf Free Backup Software For Windows, VMware, & More - Veeam
  5. T

XCP-ng installation and setup hell

try pbd-unplug xe command reference | XCP-ng Documentation
  6. T

Yes. xe should be available from your default shell on the server.
  7. T

I see. It should be noted that I've not used xenserver since it was open source distributed from citrix itself without limitation, so it's been a few years, but as I recall, you should be able to detach and remove the existing SR. If it's not possible by GUI, then your best bet is: (edit i'm...
  8. T

I see. You only have 1 drive then? XCP-ng is opinionated in that it assumes you have a dedicated drive for the hypervisor's "privileged os" or "dom0", so it consumes the entire drive for that purpose with the file system of choice by the developers of xcp-ng for stability. My suggestion here...
  9. T

You could use the command line for xe sr-create with type=ext4 if you want to force it to ext4.
  10. T

Based on those critera, I would agree that XCP-ng is the more appropriate choice, since it has a free LTS release built for stability, while with Proxmox, the stable enterprise repo is paywalled and only the upstream repo is available for free. If you wanted a more bleeding edge homelab, I...
  11. T

No. No. No. Let me stop you there. KVM is not a slow hypervisor and it's not bogged down by huge overhead. Amazon Web Services literally replaced their Xen based hypervisor (which is what XCP-NG is based on) in favor of KVM. AWS adopts home-brewed KVM as new hypervisor • The Register Edit...
  12. T

In that case, there is not really any distinction between ESXi, XCP-NG, etc. KVM is still a type 1 hypervisor using hardware extensions for virtualization, IOMMU, etc, as I said, qemu just manages the type 1 KVM hypervisor from userland when it runs KVM workloads. I'm not aware of any problems...
  13. T

@Octopuss Type 1 and Type 2 hypervisor doesn't really apply that well to QEMU/KVM. KVM is a type 1 hypervisor built into the linux kernel, QEMU is a type 2 hypervisor in user-land, but the way this is done is managing KVM virtual machines through KVM extensions built into QEMU, because thats...
  14. T

Amphenol 100G 4:1 cable & MLX switch

I had another look at the datasheets for SN2100 and SN2700, you are correct. I assume these are running the same switchchip, and that the SN2100 doesn't need to disable ports by virtue of having fewer ports to begin with and not needing to switch lanes between ports. sn2100 sn2700
  15. T

UGREEN NASync

Having ODECC as a separate feature in the overview and saying "supported" is very disingenuous. ODECC is literally a required part of the DDR5 spec, and it's always supported so long as it's DDR5. It's like they're trying to confuse consumers into thinking this supports traditional ECC.