Recent content by tozmo

1. T

HP t420 thin client - penny pincher of marginal serverage

I need to upgrade my HomeAssistant and went with the T520 for $44. I don't really care about cpu performance, it was only marginally more expensive and has the m.2 built in. I wish I could find it without RAM since I have a ton of DDR3 sodimm's. My plan is Docker with HA and OpenVPN installed...
  2. T

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

I've been stalking the mini space for a while, and none have 2 nic's by default. The T730 that was posted a few years ago as a iSCSI setup (replacing N40L) was PCIe friendly to bring in multiple nic's
  3. T

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I bought two Connect X3's (HP) and flashed them. Have QSFP+ -> SFP+ tranceivers from Ebay connected to my switch via DAC, and a QSFP+ Amazon cable as a peer-to-peer DAC connection between the two computers. The Connect X3's are the way to go, imo. Or something newer that is SFP+ only since...
  4. T

M2 8TB $1500

Can't wait for the day (looking at 2028) where I can have an NVME nas that replaces my current setup(s) for only 1.5-2x the cost of current easy shucks
  5. T

Why the BD at $169 vs SR4 at $39?
  6. T

Newegg Easyshucks 10TB $165

Thanks, better $/tb than the $199 12's right now. Just comes down to your preference of $/tb or more tb at the added cost (pro's and con's for each)
  7. T

Fixed. Edited to save space and prevent reading.
  8. T

It's going to take the whole community. Again, let's get the info / code / links onto the wiki, and then we can sort it better once the project forms out. I've started some sample pages
  9. T

Ok, I started a wiki here As opposed to just rehashing the first op, my main goal is for us to catalogue all of the customization/Q&A/help that has gone through 185 pages here. If anyone wants to add the CLI or "findings" of other tips, add it. We can always clean up the index later
  10. T

Reviving page 124 from November. I'm a newbie+ on networking and CLI. If anyone has problems figuring out the config part of, "Now we need to assign that virtual interface an address. Choose an IP that is unused in your subnet, and out of your DHCP server range (ping it first to be sure it's...
  11. T

Free streaming software

I rip all dvds using MakeMKV (removing unnecessary subtitles and languages). I store them on my server which is backed up with NAS. My server is wired to my wireless router. I then use Kodi on my FireTV and kids' amazon tablets. I can also DLNA things if I need to. I have plex installed, but I...
  12. T

Refurb 3TB Ultrastar: $55 shipped

I have a 2tb Hitachi server pull, and somehow got a 4tb server pull from some bizarre company (despite the sticker, it's a Hitachi drive), and wouldn't have qualms over getting more server pull drives. They run cooler than my enterprise Toshiba's, and all 4 drives work fine. But I also have...
  13. T

Cheap pfSense setup

I wanted to buy this: Eglobal Barebone mini pc J1900 Quad core 4 LAN 1080P 12V Mini Desktop Computer 1*VGA Free Shipping-in Mini PCs from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group But can't pay for it. I really don't want to send AliExpress my card statement and driver's license and...