Recent content by tnkrer

1. T

ESXi 6.7 free license

BennyT, thank you very much for the detailed information about various options. I am thinking that my Dell T20 is also getting old, so its time to upgrade hardware and with that go to ESXi7.0 or ESXi8.0. I think that I will do this upgrade within next 4-6 months. So I am going to use the "reset...
  2. T

ESXi 6.7 free license

I have a homelab with one file server for home photos/documents etc and one or more linux machines for any experimentation I might do. So do not have any paid licenses for VMWare Thanks! I guess I have to think through multiple annoying options here 1. Try to upgrade to 7.0 and see if things...
  3. T

ESXi 6.7 free license

I had a working ESXi 6.7 set up. The flash drive used to run the ESXi died on me. So I had to reinstall ESXi on a new flash drive. All of that is working well. The ESXi install tells me that I have 40 odd days left before the license expires. From what I have read, after the expiry, I will not...
  4. T

Updating Napp-It after a loong time

Thanks Gea. I have been able to update to the latest napp-it version. Here is a summary of how I did that (as a reference to myself if I need it in future and for anyone else that might be planning to do it) On the old napp it vm * right click on the VM and edit settings. Remove the PCI device...
  5. T

This is an AiO virtualized setup under ESXi. So I am planning to deploy current ova template in a new VM and import settings from the old VM and see how that works. Not sure yet how the users will be imported or if they will need to be re-created If I have to recreate the users, the userId will...
  6. T

My current install of napp-it is running version : 17.06free Aug.14.2017 I was looking at updating napp it and about > update provided this option wget updates : 18.01free I would like to update to the latest version. Based on what I see on napp-it.org, the latest free for home use version is...
  7. T

Updating ESXi, napp-in-one and omnios

Moved mysql to another vm. Upgraded ESXi to 6.7. Did not try to go to ESXi 7.0 since I read that Dell Perc H310 does not work with ESXi 7.0. Also I have Dell T20 and the last downloadable from dell is 6.7U3A03. The ESXi images after that need vmware account ESXi 6.7 does have autostart and it...
  8. T

Thanks Gea! I will follow this. I will need to move my sqlserver to another vm, so that I will keep my NAS purely NAS. That will make it easier to upgrade Recreating users (and remembering right passwords) could be painful. Some users of my server did not want to share password :)
  9. T

Thanks PD_ZFS-User. However, that is the one menu missing in my 6.0 vsphere html client. I have all the remaining ones. I have searched around and found some suggestions, but those did not work. Good to know that 6.7 free version has that! I will go to 6.7 since I have the dell image for ESXi 6.7
  10. T

I have not touched my set up in a long time (Almost 5 years) Thanks Gea! I want to upgrade because I am not able to start the VMs automatically after server restart and hoping that new version of ESXi will have the capability. Also its a good practice to update to latest stable versions once in...
  11. T

Mediatomb AddOn for napp-it ZFS Server Appliance

Thanks gea. So how do I uninstall the components that have gone in for mediatomb? Is that necessary? Is serviio by zos is done as LX zone and would be OK per your recommendation?
  12. T

mediatomb seems to be abandoned project :( So instead of trying to make it work here, I think I should switch to serviio What should I do to remove mediatomb setup? and should I do that before I install serviio addon?
  13. T

tried to install mediatomb on my napp it. Installation seems to have had issues .. | First start | mt-omnios-0.3.sh: line 166: /opt/local/bin/mediatomb: No such file or directory | Setting up service | | There is a...
  14. T

Need Advice for local and cloud backup

Thanks @gea. I think my backup strategy is now close to being clear in my mind :) And also partially implemented in my napp-it Step 1: Create ZFS filesystems for data that needs to be backed up - Done Step 2: Create auto snaps for these file systems using nappit->Jobs->snap->create autosnap job...
  15. T

Need Advice for local and cloud backup

Thanks nle! Now my 1TB disk is available to napp-it for backup/copy My napp-it is at 16.02 and it seems datamover was added in 17.04 .. so first step would be to upgrade napp-it .. So that is what I will do this weekend. ETA: Update was way too easy! Had to do a two step upgrade .. but now I am...