Recent content by thn80

1. T

Supermicro SuperChassis CSE-743 / SC-743

If I use a Mini-SAS HD to Mini-SAS HD cable, is there really a "reverse" version? It is the first time I hear about the battery pack. Do you have a model number that I can get some more information on this topic? Is the battery pack used like a simple UPS?
  2. T

Has really noone experience on the Supermicro SuperChassis CSE-743 / SC-743 and could answer some of my questions? @RedX1, @anomaly, @i386 do you have any information?
  3. T

Hello, excuse my longer post with multiple questions, please. For my new server I am looking for a chassis and highly tend to the Supermicro CSE-743. The chassis shall be able to hold a maximum of 8 harddrives (at the beginning 6 drives will be installed) and 2 SATA SSDs. All drives shall be...
  4. T

Estimation of CPU Load and Power Consumption

Thanks for your very detailled comment. Could you just make the point about the Xeons a bit more detailled, please? Why will the Xeons stay inside their TDP limits?
  5. T

Thanks for the information, especially about the C & P states and the L2/L3 cache. Nevertheless, can we come to a rough number for the power consumption on those CPUs?
  6. T

Hello, my current system uses an Core i5-4690S with a CPU Mark of 5501 to run some virtual machines. The system is running at 3.2 GHz with an overall CPU load (over all cores) of around 40%. How could I estimate the CPU load and resulting power consumption if the same virtual machines are...
  7. T

Supermicro X12STH-LN4F & iGPU Passthrough & IPMI/BMC

Hi, is here someone with experience regarding the Supermicro X12 mainboards? I would like to use an Intel Xeon E-2356G CPU (with integrated GPU) on the Supermicro X12STH-LN4F and are wondering if it will be possible to forward the iGPU of the CPU via PCI passthrough to a VM (for video...
  8. T

Computing Power Comparison of CPUs

Thanks a lot for all your help so far. I am trying to find a replacement for my current (privately used) server setup which consists roughly of an Core i5-4690S, 8 HDDs and an Adaptec RAID controller running Win10 at an averaged CPU load of 15% at around 125 watts. The new system shall run...
  9. T

Computing Power Comparison of CPUs

Hello, currently I try to compare different CPUs for my use-case and I'm struggling with the "computing power" of the different CPU models. For example, when comparing the Xeon E-2356G and the Xeon W-11855M they have an "Average CPU Mark" of 18912 vs. 19179 on PassMark Software - CPU Benchmarks...
  10. T

Hardware Recommendations for Home Servers (NAS + Virtualization)

Thank you very much for this hint, I was not aware of such problems. I tried to find and understand some more information on this "issue". However, currently I don't fully understand what the problem is and how to avoid it if using Supermicro. Are you a bit deeper in this issue and could...
  11. T

Currently I don't plan to use a SLOG. For the two systems I'm again struggling with the idea to combine both systems into a single system which consists of Proxmox and TrueNAS (maybe SCALE) on top. I'm again thinking about this, because it saves much power, compared to the two single systems ...
  12. T

@Parallax thank you very much for your comments. I already had a look on the other thread. @itronin in the thread mentioned by Parallax you also gave some very good comments. It would be nice if you could share some of your experience also regarding my specific use case here. Regarding of a...
  13. T

Hi, what I have at the moment: A Windows-based system. Intel Core i5-4690S 32 GB RAM Adaptec RAID Controller 8x HDDs The whole system consumes in 24/7 low load state (all drives spinning, all VMs on low load) around 130 W. What I want: TrueNAS CORE as NAS + Proxmox VE for virtualization...