Recent content by thetoad

1. T

[WTB] 16-18 14TB SAS or SATA hard drives

the data I store isn't really compressible. I'd probably just go with replication factor of 2. And I already have 18 (or 21 if I'm willing to shuck some drives), looking for the second set of 18 (3x12 bay servers). But I do a lot of clustered computing stuff (databases, docker...
  2. T

Need? It's a homelab. But it will be the storage backend for about 100 cores of nodes and ~1.5TB of ram spread among them. So can do a lot of thing.
  3. T

prices are still high, so I figure this is a bit of a long shot, but I'm looking to buy 16-18 14TB drives for use in my homelab ceph cluster for $250 per drive (i.e. $4500 for 18 $4000 for 16). anyone interested in making a sale on these terms?
  4. T

EXPIRED (US) - Oh look, hell just froze over - HP t740 thin clients are back below 400 USD (375 to 400, Wifi/BT or not)

ok, good to know. i like your indepth responses to my naive Qs. best way I've found to learn is to ask naive Qs :)
  5. T

EXPIRED (US) - Oh look, hell just froze over - HP t740 thin clients are back below 400 USD (375 to 400, Wifi/BT or not)

unless one really needs a a discrete gpu, does the gpu one really provide much value for most of our use cases? (plex/htpc/vm server)? or is the point that one could possibly part that part out and sell for money?
  6. T

EXPIRED fanless Intel® i3 Kaby Lake mini PC for $74.83

thanks for the breakdown. from what it sounds like, for my use case, where basically I just want something to move my plexserver to (for hw transcoding), it sounds like the 8GB/64GB $85 wyse that I bught is good enough.
  7. T

btw, I understood that. My Q was more wondering why an initial higher bitrate should matter for transcoding if it can handle decode/playback with ease. i.e. for the encode portion, a 4k media at an initial bitrate of 400Mbps should be no different than a 20mbps initial bitrate (the frames that...
  8. T

so, why would someone get this (say at $75) vs a 5070 (with double the ram an double the storage) at $85 (or less). I see a few possible reasons 1) higher single core speed (though it seems going full blast, the 2 cpu's are fairly equivalent) 2) more execution units on gpu (though in reality...
  9. T

ok, that's weird. I'd assume that if it supports a transcoder "input" of X and a transcoder output of "x" it should just work (and bitrate shouldn't matter, as its bitrate shouldn't matter once decoded, as its just a frame in memory and is the same size no matter what the underlying bitrate...
  10. T

I can't believe they can't accelerate in spec UHD Blu ray playback, but who knows. It would seem like a big oversight. Though uhd spec also supports 60fps (see Gemini man, or don't, it wasn't particularly good)
  11. T

UHD remux would be 3840x2160 in hevc, just capped at a bitrate of around 100mbps (not 400 like your test). I have one anime movie that peaks over 100 multiple times, most UHDs are much lower
  12. T

I'm wondering what normal UHD Bluray remuxes would get, not crazy 4k bitrates
  13. T

FS: 20 Packs of 16TB and 18TB drives

I'd assume he'd give the buyer all the the serials in private before the sale is done. buyer would verify warranty on all drives and verify serials on receipt match. at least that's what I'd do. for 40 drives, its a reasonable price per drive at today's prices.
  14. T

Which fiber should I install in a new building?

does cat 7 actually gain you anything over cat 6a? doesn't > 10GB need cat 8 and cat 7 doesn't actually support anything beyond what cat 6a does?
  15. T

FS: 20 Packs of 16TB and 18TB drives

I agree with most of what you said and think the same way many times, but a shucked usb drive is also out of warranty (hence why I consider them somewhat equivalent to a white label drive without warranty). And yea, you aren't going to pay me the same price as newegg for a usb drive, but I'm...