(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
There is a post in this thread from @WANg about not being able to use more than 16 GB of memory with Windows 10. Apparently the bug is still there in Windows 11. Thank you for testing that out.

I verified WANg configuration. and as a fix. I gave my wife's laptop the 32GB and put her 16GB in my 5070.

Chris

Reactions: Samir

vtech

Feb 9, 2022
If anyone is still interested in fully disabling the EMMC on the 5070 celeron/pentium/extended_pentium/5470AIO, here is how to do it:

Download the BootX64.zip shared here.

Using RUFUS or some similar tool, make a bootable USB and replace the X:efi/boot/BootX64.efi on the newly created USB, with the extracted BootX64.efi file

Power on your 5070/5470 and press F2 to access BIOS settings
Default Password is Fireport
System Configuration > USB Configuration: Check Enable USB Boot Support
Secure Boot > Secure Boot Enable: Uncheck Secure Boot Enable

Hit apply on bottom right. Doesn't matter if you save as custom settings or default.

Make sure your Bootable USB is inserted and Exit

press F12 while booting to access boot menu and Select your USB

In GRUB type: setup_var 0x13a 0x00

Press enter, you will get some warning, proceed with caution etc.

You're done! press ctrl+alt+del to reset, and remove USB.

Some Notes:

0x13a is the hidden variable to disable EMMC, 0x00 is Disabled 0x01 is enabled.
So setup_var 0x13a 0x01 will re enable the EMMC

Also, restoring BIOS defaults will re enable the EMMC, and in some cases, BIOS updates will also cause it to re enable so make sure you update the BIOS before disabling, or keep in mind you may need to disable again later.

If you have a Windows 10IOT license, the product key is stored on the EMMC, but once your windows install on the m.2 ssd is active, you can disable the EMMC.

Attachments

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Judging by the teardown pics, it looks like both the base and extended 5070 have an M.2 E-Key slot. Has anyone tried one of these with a Coral Edge TPU yet? The new Coral Edge Dual TPU requires an E-key slot that presents two PCIe 1x bus - which technically should be provided by the standard, but many implementations are seemingly not compliant.
It doesn't look like it will work with the PCIe Coral TPU that uses an A+E key. According to Dell's specifications, the M.2 2230 WLAN slot is CNVi.

Rttg

May 21, 2020
It doesn't look like it will work with the PCIe Coral TPU that uses an A+E key. According to Dell's specifications, the M.2 2230 WLAN slot is CNVi.
I’m a bit skeptical of that because the second ethernet mentioned in those specs uses the M.2 port, although it does seem to be picky (for instance, working with a Realtek card but not with a M.2 to PCIe x1 riser).

I’ve been meaning to test my Coral card - just haven’t gotten to plucking it from production yet.

Rttg

May 21, 2020
@vtech - how did you figure out that hidden EFI var?

I’m wondering if that may be part of the answer to overcoming this apparent blacklist of some devices in the M.2 port normally used by WiFi…

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I’m a bit skeptical of that because the second ethernet mentioned in those specs uses the M.2 port, although it does seem to be picky (for instance, working with a Realtek card but not with a M.2 to PCIe x1 riser).

I’ve been meaning to test my Coral card - just haven’t gotten to plucking it from production yet.
Please let me know if it works. I am hoping that it does as well but I can't get my hands on one to test. Although if it doesn't work then the USB version will be just as good.

No idea when more will be in stock. Been wanting to deploy Frigate on this machine to handle my security cam feeds for months now.

glow

Mar 22, 2022

Same, so I tested a Mediatek RZ608 and it works in the M.2 A+E slot.

vtech

Feb 9, 2022
@vtech - how did you figure out that hidden EFI var?

I’m wondering if that may be part of the answer to overcoming this apparent blacklist of some devices in the M.2 port normally used by WiFi…
Attached a copy of the Extracted EFI_setup, I quickly looked over it and didn't see anything obvious, but feel free to check again.

This was pulled off some random 5070 Celeron, but settings apply across all 5070 models.

You can change any of the variables the same way described in my previous post. But some will immediately force reboot and revert to old values, some will be enabled for 1 boot (HDCIEN) Intel's USB debugging for example, others may cause generally unwanted behaviors.

look for (varoffset/varname) 0x*** and then below it,
"one of option:
<some settingA>, value (8 bit) 0x00
<some settingB>, value (8 bit) 0x01

So if you wanted to change this setting to settingB you would load the EFI shell from my other post, follow those same steps and use:
setup_var 0x*** 0x01

** Disclaimer ** In my experience I've never been able to brick a board by changing values, but I still suggest being careful if you don't have a hardware programmer.

Attachments

Reactions: abq and Samir

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
so, a slightly off topic Q, but related device Q. I finally got to my AIO 5470 and it works perfectly (reasonably purchase for $25 + $25 shipping) and supports nvme (using an samsung evo 970 in it).

so the Q. it has a windows sticker on it, I'm able to view a "built in" oem key, however I can't seem to associate it to a version of windows that would view it compatible (windows 11 and windows 10 enterprise all rejected the key). any idea what version of windows would be compatible?

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
Typically this will be windows iot. It used to be called windows embedded and it has many limitation. I could never justify the time to figure out how to best use it. It is probably fine for a single use appliance, for example a music streamer. For use as a Desktop environment you do not get regular security updates.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
so, a slightly off topic Q, but related device Q. I finally got to my AIO 5470 and it works perfectly (reasonably purchase for $25 + $25 shipping) and supports nvme (using an samsung evo 970 in it).

so the Q. it has a windows sticker on it, I'm able to view a "built in" oem key, however I can't seem to associate it to a version of windows that would view it compatible (windows 11 and windows 10 enterprise all rejected the key). any idea what version of windows would be compatible?
It would be Windows 10 IoT or LTSC 2019. Not sure if there's a Windows 11 upgrade path with those licenses.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Personally, I think IOT is awesome. Lock everything down and forget the updates and just reboot regularly for decades of solid service.

glow

Mar 22, 2022
There are now three versions of Win IoT, and afaik, at least two of them run on x86.

and I do not know which one came on the Wyse 5070.

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
you can download windows iot for your model from dell. You download an image and write it to your device.

Reactions: vtech

vtech

Feb 9, 2022

Make sure you use the image that dell provides and use the newest Dell USB imaging tool. In order to have it function more like standard Windows, the biggest thing will be to make sure you disable the write filter. The write filter saves everything to ram and erases any changes you make after every reset. Obviously not that great for home use.

There is currently no upgrade path to Windows 11 for these, and probably wont ever be one.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Make sure you use the image that dell provides and use the newest Dell USB imaging tool. In order to have it function more like standard Windows, the biggest thing will be to make sure you disable the write filter. The write filter saves everything to ram and erases any changes you make after every reset. Obviously not that great for home use.

There is currently no upgrade path to Windows 11 for these, and probably wont ever be one.
Well, you can upgrade to Windows 11 yourself (the J4105/5005 are both Windows 11 compatible) - there'll simply not be a Win11 IoT version that would be a drop-in replacement.

Reactions: vtech

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
so what I think I'll end up doing with the AIO 5470 is it will be my console sitting on top of my half rack. for $100 or so all in (added a samsung nvme), can't complain. Might end up doing dual duty as my plex server (was planning on using the 5070 for that, now have to figure out what I'll do with that or just sell it.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
Getting back to my 5070. Something weird has happened (maybe I did something to kill it or did something weird with the jumper). I put it aside until I was able to get a sata stick, which i finally got. When I went to boot it today (plug it in). it seems to get power (power led is lit amber, ethernet blinks away like a madman), but pressing the button doesn't seem to do anything. it just stay amber.

But, it must be on (not simply because of the ethernet lights blinking away), but because if I take the cover off, the heatsink gets pretty hot. indicating the cpu is doing something.

But I don't get a signal when plugged into either of the display ports (or even when using the expansion vga port mine came with).

any ideas on what steps I should take?

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Getting back to my 5070. Something weird has happened (maybe I did something to kill it or did something weird with the jumper). I put it aside until I was able to get a sata stick, which i finally got. When I went to boot it today (plug it in). it seems to get power (power led is lit amber, ethernet blinks away like a madman), but pressing the button doesn't seem to do anything. it just stay amber.

But, it must be on (not simply because of the ethernet lights blinking away), but because if I take the cover off, the heatsink gets pretty hot. indicating the cpu is doing something.

But I don't get a signal when plugged into either of the display ports (or even when using the expansion vga port mine came with).

any ideas on what steps I should take?
Have you taken the battery out while it's unplugged to clear the bios settings?

Also, when you power on the unit, I would make sure to wake the monitor just momentarily prior. I know that a few dp1.4 monitors have issues picking up the signal while it's asleep and thus won't register with the os that there's a monitor connected. This depends on the OS but I've experienced this with Intel's Clear Linux distro.

Last edited: