Recent content by TeeJayHoward

1. TeeJayHoward

14 TB WD Easystore $200 @BestBuy

Looks like the price is $269/drive now :(
  2. TeeJayHoward

14 TB WD Easystore $200 @BestBuy

I just picked up six in store and placed an order for six more (in two batches of three) to be delivered tomorrow. Thanks!
  3. TeeJayHoward

Multiple GPU cards fit...

Riser cables? I don't know. I've never done that before.
  4. TeeJayHoward

ZFS on Linux 0.8.0 released!

I was confused on this point (Can't we already remove/replace faulty drives?), so I clicked the link and read up. Device removal #6900 - This feature allows single and mirrored top-level devices to be removed from the storage pool with zpool remove. All data is copied in the background to the...
  5. TeeJayHoward

MCX311A-XCAT with "wrong" GUIDs

IIRC, it's flint -d /dev/whatever -guid newGUID sg
  6. TeeJayHoward

eBay - $3 Off $3.01 or More Purchases

Dang it, missed that. Mea culpa!
  7. TeeJayHoward

eBay - $3 Off $3.01 or More Purchases

Also seeing a 10% off coupon: Fill Your Cart With Fun and Save 10% Don’t miss out! Use code TEN4FUN to save up to $50.
  8. TeeJayHoward

Which switch?

Looks like you win the cookie. 7124SX incoming! Thanks all!
  9. TeeJayHoward

Instead of blanking plates...

Two of the switches are passively cooled. The remaining switch is rear-to-front.
  10. TeeJayHoward

Instead of blanking plates...

I'm upgrading to a 14U rack this month, and I'll be moving my networking gear from front to rear. That leaves three units of empty/ugly up front (with the rear half of the same units full), and I'd like to close it up. Initially I was just going to pick up some cheap blanking plates, but now I'm...
  11. TeeJayHoward

Maximize Data Transfers Between Two NAS' (with 10GbE)

If copies from a local RAM disk to the array (or vice versa) are capping out at 480MB/s, then the network has nothing to do with it. (If I'm misunderstanding, and the RAM disk was on a different machine, sorry!) How many and what size files are you moving? 100x 100MB files might not saturate the...
  12. TeeJayHoward

Which switch?

Looking for recommendations for a 10GbE switch for my home rack. Like most of us here, I've got a bit of a hard-on for enterprise gear. Unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable on the networking front as some of you guys, so here I am. Please let me know what's out there! 24+ SFP+ ports (would...
  13. TeeJayHoward

Connect-X2 and ESXi 6.7?

QSFP connector. The cards are detected natively, but are listed as disconnected. There's no link light on the switch or cards, either. If I pass the card through to a VM, I have no issues. It's just natively that it doesn't work. I even tried installing the 5.0 "1.8.x.x" drivers. No joy.
  14. TeeJayHoward

Connect-X2 and ESXi 6.7?

My old Connect-X2 cards are starting to show their age. I last used them with 6.0, and life was good. Infiniband worked (once I ripped out the VMware drivers and installed the 1.8 drivers), Ethernet mode worked, everything just did what I thought it would. Well, that was then. This is now. 6.7...
  15. TeeJayHoward

The new Apple Mac Pro has one interesting motherboard design...

As someone who is in the market for a new workstation and loves Apple I am happy that they gave us what power users asked for. I just wish it wasn't so bloody expensive. A comparable Windows PC can be built for under $5K, and that includes the nVidia card I need for CUDA apps. I've got a couple...