Recent content by technovelist

1. T

Intel Optane DCPMM Coming to Workstations

How much do you have on each workstation, and can it be set to app-direct mode as well?
  2. T

Is it possible that an Apache Pass DCPMM would work on a Cooper Lake CPU?

Right, that's what I was asking about. Interestingly enough, when I use ipmctl to look at the device, it says "unmanageable" whereas the BIOS reports it as manageable but non-functional, which seems more promising. Maybe if I get more time to play with this I'll see if I can bring it to...
  3. T

I just put one in to see what would happen and it is reporting as "manageable" but "non-functional". The storage is showing up but it is all inaccessible. I assume this means I'm out of luck?
  4. T

I know this is not "supported" but does that mean that it definitely would not work, or just that Intel won't help if it doesn't? And if I try it myself, will I blow anything up or will it just not work non-destructively? The reason I'm asking is that I have a Cooper Lake server and would love...
  5. T

WTB Optane 200 modules

Hi all, Does anyone have any Optane 200 modules to sell? Thanks!
  6. T

At this point I doubt there will be a pmem 300 generation because Intel has been working on CXL instead, which in case you haven't heard about it is an industry-standard way of connecting storage including 3D xpoint and other storage class memory devices rather than Intel-only. I don't actually...
  7. T

NOTE for future ASRock LGA3647 + Optane DCPMM / PMEM users...

That's a new acronym for me; I'll look it up.
  8. T

Small form factor motherboard compatible with 2nd gen xeon and Optane pmem?

Thanks for your help. I don't have a spare platform because I added more DRAM, another CPU, and switched to 8x 256 GB Optanes on my existing machine. However, the original setup on my current machine was 1x 4215 CPU with 2x 32 GBDRAM and 4x 128 GB Optanes, very similar to the the setup I'm...
  9. T

I'm sure that's good advice but how would I benchmark it without building it? I'm not experienced as a homebrew builder, so please forgive me if that's a dumb question.
  10. T

NOTE for future ASRock LGA3647 + Optane DCPMM / PMEM users...

Did you set up the Optane in memory mode or AppDirect?
  11. T

Yes, 2nd gen xeon = cascade lake. What I don't know is whether I could build an ATX machine that would be small enough to fit in a rollaboard. I think everything else is doable: I already have 4x 128 GB Optane Pmem left over from an upgrade to 256s, and I shouldn't need an enormous amount of SSD...
  12. T

In my experience it's very common for people who should know about Optane modules not to know anything about them. Intel seems to have the worst marketing when it comes to this technology that should be setting the world on fire (not literally I hope) but is basically unknown to almost everyone...
  13. T

Hi all, I was wondering whether anyone knows of a small form factor motherboard that is compatible with 2nd gen xeon processors and Optane pmem. I realize this is probably an insane idea but it can't hurt to ask. Obviously power consumption would mean it would hardly be practical as a laptop...