Recent content by swflmarco

1. S

router/switch with 10GE input and 1GE output ports

this is comical.
  2. S

Dell cs6100 vs r710 (possibly two)

I think it really depends on your application. The C6100's are great, for cheap cloud servers. They have NO convenience, limitd in expansion, limited in RAM, no SATA/SAS 6gbps, sharp edges and not user friendly for entry level techs. The R710's are great chassis as well. They are easy to work...
  3. S

Microsoft is retiring the TechNet Subscription service ...

Yeah, got it earlier today - quite bummed as I use the heck out of mine!
  4. S

How to get IP block directly

Not quite that simple. You'll only be awarded an ASN if you are multihomed, and can show contracts with multiple transit providers, or if you require special routing policies, and provide documentation showing said special policy. Off the top of my head: Also /24 is the smallest assignment with...
  5. S

What automation software are you using?

Specify your requirement and definition of "repetitive system admin stuffs". what are you trying to accomplish, what tasks are you trying to automate?
  6. S

You should consider consulting with someone and design/engineer your solution for you, since you can't seem to do the research yourself. I wonder how you will setup, or maintain this solution if you manage to get to the next step. Just saying.
  7. S

Environmental Monitoring : Server Room

Zach, Thank you for the suggestion, I do run some UBNT gear here, and generally like it. That said, I had not personally thought of using their gear in this scenario. I've had a closer look, and it seems that the temp sensor is only temp, not humidity - do you know different? Humidity is very...
  8. S

Environmental Monitoring : Server Room

I'm looking for some recommendations for environmental monitoring solutions for the server room. The location i'm looking to put this is has a smaller server room, only a couple of racks and 2x Liebert Datamate CRACs that have external contact switches for when they alarm, however no built in...
  9. S

If you really require 40 IPv4 addresses maybe you should write up exactly what you need them for, and discuss this with your proposed provider. If they are not willing to work with you regarding this, you should probably look else where. You cannot just pickup a small range and use it anywhere...
  10. S

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

I've personally had great luck with the hitachi line of drives; wether Deskstar or Ultrastar.
  11. S

What to monitor/ manage infrastructure

I use Zabbix pretty heavily across our infrastructure; at one point 4 sites, nearly 500 "hosts" and 1000's of items. It's open source, and they do offer commercial support and training. Active community for help, forum and IRC channel. Homepage of Zabbix :: An Enterprise-Class Open Source...
  12. S

How many IPv4 do i need?

I think you should look at the spec sheets, and consider your requirements. There are some things we can't do for you...
  13. S

How many IPv4 do i need?

I would use a switch, and either run your vyatta as a virtual machine, a physical machine, or one of their appliances ...
  14. S

Who is using IPv6?

I've used IPv6 through HE tunnels, and played around some, but there just aren't enough websites and services IPv6 enabled. I did just get accepted into the Comcast IPv6 trial, should be interesting. There is very little IPv6 movement and adoption in the VoIP world from what I can tell...