Recent content by survive

1. S

trouble with brand new X10SLM-LN4F

Hi zoob, Are you sure there isn't a stand-off that a bit to short or something? Maybe the board is getting tourged a but to much when the screws are tightened down? -Will
  2. S

LSI 9240-8i Not Working

Hi drfsupercenter, Personally I really like the Gigabyte x90GX boards with the on-board video memory . I have used a couple of them with ESXi & FreeNAS. One of them is now my "flashing board" for any LSI controllers I run across. They are a rare find in retail now. The M5014\M5015 is simply...
  3. S

LSI 9240-8i Not Working

Hi drfsupercenter, My first guess would be that you board doesn't like having a "non-video" card in the 16x PCI-e slot.....you could just be out of luck. That said, personally I'd return the card & find an IBM M5014\5015 controller on the ebay for ~$130.00 and use that instead of either of...
  4. S

Best alternative to striped mirrored raid for best random i/o speeds?

Hi gigatexal Give this a look....it might help explain some of the "rules" about zfs to you and help make things a bit more clear http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7775-Slideshow-explaining-VDev-zpool-ZIL-and-L2ARC-for-noobs! ZFS is made to do nested raids....that's how you are able...
  5. S

LSI 9265-8i & VMware ESXi (health monitoring, MegaRAID UI in a VM, & CacheCade 2.0)

Hi Paul, Your guide on how to make ESXi 5.1 see the health of LSI controllers is what prompted me to pick up an IBM M5014 that was posted here. All in all it worked out to be a great deal all around for me and I can't see how the pointers to your guides wouldn't be a good fit here. -Will
  6. S

LSI 9265-8i & VMware ESXi (health monitoring, MegaRAID UI in a VM, & CacheCade 2.0)

Hi Paul, Your guide on how to make ESXi 5.1 see the health of LSI controllers is what prompted me to pick up an IBM M5014 that was posted here. All in all it worked out to be a great deal all around for me and I can't see how the pointers to your guides wouldn't be a good fit here. -Will
  7. S

Building a HTPC and looking for help - M1015

Hi Dudenell, Is there any reason you don't just get a nice Intel board with built in RAID? -Will
  8. S

IBM M5014 to 9260 reverts back to 5014?

Hi guys, I got one of these M5014 controllers and flashed it using the guide & cd image. The instructions all worked great & I flashed the card without issue. The card was listed as an LSI 9260 in the WebBIOS as expected. I had checked LSI's web site and found that there was a newer firmware...
  9. S

Supermicro X9S series motherboards & PCI-e controller compatability

Hi guys, For what it's worth Supermicro has released their 2.0b BIOS for the X9SC boards which seems to have sorted out my problems with the quad-port Intel NIC's. -Will
  10. S

N00b System Build validation

Hi savage, I'm going to assume, based on the excellent selection of componets you are looking at, that you actually have a bit of a budget for this project. If that is correct I would certainly encourage you to contact somebody who specializes in integrating Supermicro hardware and should be...
  11. S

Hi john4200, An excellent suggestion.... I took a look and 2 o the 3 options are there, but "De-emphasis Control" is missing. I'll have to ask my contact at Supermicro i it will be included. -Will
  12. S

Hi john4200, That's one of the options they instructed me to change in the BIOS they sent me. Here are the 3 options they had me change to get the quad-port "PT" card working: the BIOS under Advanced -> Chipset configuration -> Integrated IO Configuration: 1. PCI Express Port - Gen X to GEN1...
  13. S

Hi guys, I was just wondering what kind of luck other users have been having with the Supermicro X9S series socket 1155 motherboards and add-on PCI-e controller cards. I have 2 of these boards and 4 out of the 5 cards I have tried have each required me to contact Supermicro support about...
  14. S

IBM SERVERAID M5014 upgrade woth it?

Hi Patrick, I think I'm going to get one and give it a shot, if for no other reason than so I can get drive\array health monitoring under ESXi. I found the following article here: http://tinkertry.com/lsi92xx-health-under-esxi-51/ that describes how to do it. Given the price of the card, I...
  15. S

IBM SERVERAID M5014 upgrade woth it?

IBM SERVERAID M5014 upgrade worth it? Hi guys, Quick question about the IBM ServerRaid M5014 deal linked on the front page...... I have an Adaptec 3405 running a RAID-10 of 4 750GB WD Black drives in an ESXi 5.1 box. Would it be worth it to replace the Adaptec with one of these M5014...