Recent content by Spearfoot

1. Spearfoot

SM X11SBA-F won't POST after upgrading memory

According to Intel, the N3710 only supports 8GB, so 16GB is a non-starter: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/91830/intel-pentium-processor-n3710-2m-cache-up-to-2-56-ghz.html Crucial only shows 4GB modules for that board, so the Crucial kit you tried is probably just...
  2. Spearfoot

Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ and/or X9SRL-F with an Optane P4801 100GB M.2

I've used NVMe single-stick M.2 adapters on an X9SRL-F and an X9DRi-LN4F+ (very similar to your X9DRS-LN4F+) with success. My hunch is that the Optane will work, too, but I haven't tried one of those myself.
  3. Spearfoot

Comparison: 512e versus 4kn

Thanks for all the hard work! Your results contradict my pre-conceived notion that 4kn would out-perform 512e... learn something new every day!
  4. Spearfoot

New NAS build - is M1015 still king?

The IBM M1015 is great, I own one myself. It's an OEM version of the classic LSI SAS-9210/9211 HBA based on the LSI 2008 chip, with reliability proven by millions of hours of use. Nowadays for 6Gbps systems I buy HBAs based on the LSI 2308 chipset, which gives a slight improvement on the 2008...
  5. Spearfoot

Choosing the right UPS to a server

Regarding the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD model... I just ordered an APC Back UPS Pro BX1500M to replace mine. The CyberPower unit just turned itself off this morning -- out of the blue! -- along with all of the equipment connected to it! Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago. Our power didn't...
  6. Spearfoot

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

When I used an Intel X520-DA2 NIC in one of my ESXi 6.7 servers I found that reloading my 6610 switch would take the NIC down -- no idea why. But I could get both ports back up with these commands:esxcli network nic up -n vmnic4 esxcli network nic up -n vmnic5Maybe something similar will work...
  7. Spearfoot

10Gbe SFP+ PCIe Card Recommendation

I've had good luck with the SolarFlare SFN6122F 10G NICs, dual port, PCIe v2.0, use about 6W of power, and deliver line rate speeds. Can be had on eBay for $35-40, so pretty cheap. They're supported by FreeBSD, so they work with FreeNAS/TrueNAS. You have to load a vib for ESXi 6.7, but that's...
  8. Spearfoot

Asking a small favor from any SAS SSD owners on the forum

Ha ha! Be glad to share -- I want to spruce up my disk burn-in script to handle SAS disks, and to avoid running badblocks on SSDs: https://github.com/Spearfoot/disk-burnin-and-testing
  9. Spearfoot

Thanks @Lix & @itronin! Looks like " Rotation Rate: Solid State Device " is the 'tell'.
  10. Spearfoot

Thank you, @gea! Do you have any SAS solid state disks?
  11. Spearfoot

I want to reliably identify SAS SSD drives in shell scripts, but I don't own any to test with. So I'm asking my fellow enthusiasts here on STH to post the smartctl 'INFORMATION SECTION' output from a SAS SSD: smartctl -i /dev/'x' The output from SAS hard drives shows a rotation rate and a...
  12. Spearfoot

Where is everyone buying their NEW servers from?

I manage to find pretty good deals on eBay for Supermicro chassis and motherboards (X10, X9-series), along with RAM and CPUs. Hard drives are tougher to find -- I usually buy new -- but there's a lot more available stock now at Provantage, wiredzone, etc. than there was a month or two ago.
  13. Spearfoot

ICX7150 for repair?

I think the 130W LBS130S56K is under-rated for this application. When I researched this a year ago I found that the stock PSU delivers roughly 150W. And these tend to fail, so they're probably under-rated too. That's why I picked a PSU (The XP Power GCS350PS56 linked above) that can deliver...
  14. Spearfoot

Hard Drive Selection for 100TB Array

You must be talking about the Power Disable Feature (PWDIS). Western Digital has a PDF available that lists which drives do or do not have it, at least for a subset of their available models...