Recent content by spazoid

1. S

PSA: Vmware ESXi 7.0 does not like consumer NVMe drives

Thank you so much! I had no luck with a copy of an old driver, but this driver seems to work.
  2. S

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Well it wasn't too good to be true. The T1700G-28TQ has arrived an is now switching packets in my homelab. If anyone is up for ordering from a relatively well known danish shop: TP-LINK JetStream T1700G-28TQ Switch | Model: T1700G-28TQ | pc-lager.dk It's around $310 USD including the 25%...
  3. S

For NIB we usually pay the price in USD + 25% VAT + 10-20%, so seeing something in Denmark at LESS than the price in the US is quite unusual, even seeing stuff like this (electronics in general) at less than the US price + 25% is rare. When you guys see stuff go crazy on ebay (like the 2670's...
  4. S

I just checked the local market (Denmark) for the T1700G-28TQ and I almost dropped my jaw when I saw it listed at DKK 1200 (USD 185). I immediately ordered 4 twinax cables from fs.com and in those 15 minutes the store had changed from "available within 10 days" to "no longer available".... found...
  5. S

Suggestion pfsense virtualization or not?

Same for me as for some of the others; running virtualized at the moment, but intend to switch to a dedicated setup when I find something that'll handle 1000/1000 mbit relatively cheap (low TCO). Virtualized pfsense Pros: Cheap (as in free since you have the hardware) Low power (you're already...
  6. S

Netgate SG-1000 (FreeBSD based pfSense on ARM) First Look

Neat box, but I still think it's too expensive. Gold membership has no value to me, so it feels like I'm paying $150 for a $50 device, or 3 times the value of the hardware. The situation with the more expensive Netgate devices is completely different, has the software is a much lower portion of...
  7. S

Poor ZFS performance after omnios update

Hi Gea, thanks for your input! It might not have been clear from my post, but at the moment I'm running a send/receive directly on the FreeNAS host between the two pools (the output is pasted in the original post). Both pools are imported in FreeNAS. The issue is not with omnios, but rather...
  8. S

Poor ZFS performance after omnios update

Hey everyone, need a bit of guidance on this one... I wanted to migrate a zpool to a new VM running FreeNAS and in the process reconfigure the vdevs and luckily I had a few drives on hand to use as interim storage. My idea was to configure a zpool on the new VM, then zfs send/receive over LAN...
  9. S

how'd you improve zfs performance?

1) Add RAM for ARC and/or SSD for L2ARC 2) Add as much RAM as you can afford 3) Add an SSD for L2ARC For all of the above, it depends on your workload. I actually removed an L2ARC SSD from a pool that only had media files and felt improved performance, but for a VM datastore, an L2ARC device...
  10. S

Why'd we stop doing the how much bandwidth threads?

@maze I thought you could get hiper and gigabit.dk as well! Again, thanks for helping me get it set up with pfsense, would've been a shame to have been reduced to using the providers router :<
  11. S

EU FS: DDR4 memory 8gb and 16gb Dell ECC New price!!

Not trying to mess up your sales or anything, but even here in Denmark with 25% VAT, I can buy equivalent DDR4 brand new for 20% less than these prices - whats special about yours?
  12. S

Only half way through October. No cable, so streaming and plex probably accounts for most of this. For comparisons sake, this is a 1G/1G for about $44, no caps (don't think data caps even exist on land lines in DK).
  13. S

Take a look at the Status_Traffic_Totals package Still not as great as the old RRD graphs, but it does add a quick "totals" feature...
  14. S

Shared storage options for VMware ESXi

This is great, do you by any chance have a similar test result with 1gbit equipment? I have a new server on its way and started prepping my current esxi hosts, so another week or two and I'll hopefully be up and running. Have you done any testing on the effects of rfcache and/or RAM cache?
  15. S

The truth about CPU power consumption

How do you like the T20 in general? They are really inexpensive here in DK, so I've ordered one just yesterday. Would appreciate any experience you might have.