Recent content by sd11

1. S

Canada [WTB] Supermicro Rails MCP-290-00014-00

Sorry, don't believe it will work. I have CSE-PT26L-B.
  2. S

Canada [WTB] Supermicro Rails MCP-290-00014-00

Which 3u case do you have? I'm local to you, I believe I have a pair that might work.
  3. S

Alternative to Sophos UTM

How does AV/Malware/web filtering work? Do you install a local SSL cert from XG? Essentially MITM?
  4. S

SAS SSD 3.3v tape mod = amber light

Thanks. I think i'm going to order some new kapton tape and try again.
  5. S

It took a while as you mentioned. I guess it's impossible to determine if it shifted unless you take it back out. Would it shifting be the reason?
  6. S

I have a U-Nas 810a. The backplane is passthrough with 4pin molex for power. In order to get my Micron SAS SSD to be detected I had to do the 3.3v pin tape trick. The drive is detected, but the activity light is always illuminated amber. I had to the the same on 3 WD drives, but the amber...
  7. S

Lukewarm: eBay: 1TB SSD Intel DC P4500 SSD NVMe PCIe U.2 with ePLP $119 + free ship

Write speed is slow for this drive. Isn't that what you don't want for a cache drive?
  8. S

Source for a hot swap case in Canada?

You can order from ebay to Home - CrossBorder Pickups and pickup in Mississauga for a small fee. You still pay duties, but shipping is generally free or way cheaper if you ship to Buffalo and then use that service. Checkout a case like the Supermicro SC743.
  9. S

TIL: Snapshots. Don't let them get too big!

Long story short. I forgot I had taken a snapshot on a Win Server 2016 VM in esxi. I removed the snapshot forgetting that there is a 6TB disk attached. The VM is relatively low when it comes to IO changes. Just a small file server. It's still is taking forever to remove. 6% in the past 20...
  10. S

Advice needed: Proxmox vs vSphere

Not a fan of Proxmox... I don't find it intuitive at all. It's been a struggle to use it. I've tried and I find it more cumbersome than esxi... I've also been using esxi since v3, so maybe that's why. For production use, I believe esxi being locked down is a much better idea. I just can't get...
  11. S

Supermicro PSU "Backplate"? ATX Wont fit

This cant be specific to just the SC733 because I have a 4u case with the same issue... The PSU location has no backing to it. The included PSU attaches via side and back screws. I need to replace the PSU with something else, but cant attach... Is there a solution to this?
  12. S

EU Baytech RPC-3A Remote Power Control @ Ebay 35 Euro

I hooked up the ethernet port and used Wireshark to view broadcasts. Once I had it's IP I was able to change it via Telnet.
  13. S

EU Baytech RPC-3A Remote Power Control @ Ebay 35 Euro

I have one of these that i'm not using. I believe you can telnet into it and setup through there, not just by serial cable. I stopped using it because of the power draw, also due to the fact that I never actually used it remotely. I'm in the middle of a move, but if someone happens to be in...
  14. S

Power Question

Wrong. Close though. Use the two pins to the left of that